Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Wednesday September 23, 2009

Wednesday is first full day of fall and also Breakfast Club day. This morning the talk at the table was the art contest being held in GR. I was surprised that almost all the guys had made an effort to see some of the art work. I thought when the contest was first proposed that it was kind of dorky. Now, however, I think it is a great idea.

The Breakfast Club meetings are held at the Women's Civic Club on the SW corner of Fulton and Lafayette. The breakfast is buffet style with scrambled eggs, meat, waffles, oatmeal and assorted fruits. The food alone is reason enough to join. Today a big announcement was made about the marriage of John Horbach, the retired city engineer, and another breakfast club member, Darla. A special cake was prepared and served. The cake was great.

After breakfast I stopped by the post office to send a birthday gift to LA. Today the sprinkler company was stopping by to winterize the system. They said a service man would arrive some time between 10 and 1. Surprise! The service man arrived at 0945 and was finished in 15 minutes. Since it was still morning, I took out my Kindle and started reading the DFP. I immediately fell asleep. So to rectify this problem I took an hour nap. I woke at 1130 and got on the retro and pedalled to the MAC for a 30 minute swim.

I had two errands to run this afternoon. First I stopped by the Grand Rapids Bicycle Company and picked up my all-terrain bike. I had a coaster brake installed and the caliber brakes removed. I love coaster brakes and now all 3 of my bikes have these brakes. The 2nd errand was to take the end table, that had its glass top destroyed, to a shop for repair. I headed to Mid West Glass and they are going to make a new glass top.

Tonight is cereal night and Nancy and I watched the news as we ate. Except when we have company, Nancy and I always eat in the kitchen. At 8 a new show called Mercy was on and I watched 30 minutes. I did not like it. Last night Nancy and I watched a new show called NCIS LA. It is a spin off of NCIS. The show was terrible. It was phony macho and I think the intended audience was 14 year old boys. I gave it a 0.77.

Ossineke, MI this date in 1938. It was a warm and clear Friday. In the morning GG and GGM drove to Alpena. GG deposited $100 in the bank and then bought some chicken feed. He also mentioned that he traded at the A&P. "Traded" was GG's word. GG last entry was "preacher home, Huey and Jim cut rest of corn".

No comments: