Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Wednesday September 16, 2009

After all my whining yesterday about having to get up earlier, I slept in until 0730. This being the third Wednesday of the month means I have a GR Building Authority meeting. The GRBA has two hybrid parking structure projects. Both projects are multi use buildings with a parking structure. After the construction is complete the GRBA will sell bonds and buy and operate the parking structures. Both projects appear to be on time and on budget.

After the meeting I headed east on Michigan Avenue. The area around Blodgett Hospital is undergoing a construction boom. Approximately 1 billion dollars worth of construction is under way. It appears that a lot of the projects are nearing completion. The big buildings block out my satellite radio signal. It is quite impressive. I traveled further east from all the construction and had breakfast at Bill's. Bill's is a great breakfast place and is always featured in the GR Press "Cheap Eats" section.

It was another nice sunny day but cooler than yesterday. I do not think the temperature got above 70. I loaded the road bike in the Aztek and headed for Holland. I parked near the River Street bridge over the Macatawa River. The River Street bridge consist of the vehicular bridge and 2 pedestrian bridges. The pedestrian bridges are located each side of the vehicular bridge and are connected by a trail passing under the Vehicular bridge. It was a great design. I pedalled over all three bridges. After my bridge inspections, I pedalled west along Douglas/Ottawa Beach Road to Holland State Park. The bike trail is parallel with the north shore of Lake Macatawa. It is a great ride. Holland State Park was very quite today. From the park I headed north along Lakeshore Drive. Lakeshore Drive parallels the Lake Michigan shore. This is the first time I have been on this trail and I think it is the best suburban trail I have ridden on. The trail is heavily wooded and there are some spectacular homes along the Lake MI side. My total ride was 28 miles. I give the trail a 3.8. (4.0 max)

This evening Nancy and I headed to Pietro's for dinner. They are featuring $7 dinners and a 25 oz draft been for $2. The place was packed. Apparently everyone in GR likes a bargain.

Ossineke, MI this date in 1938. Not much happening. GG noted that is was a cool day and he dug 1.5 bushels of potatoes. GGM and Julia pulled beans.

No comments: