Monday, September 14, 2009

Monday September 14, 2009

The first normal Monday since late July. It was a great Monday. The sun shone all day and the temperature reached 84. I had to ride my retro to the MAC because I am getting a coaster brake on the all terrain bike. I encounter a lot of road construction during my morning bike commute so the retro bike works fine. Today I did my entire exercise routine at 100%.

Today's DFP had an article on all the cuts Mayor Bing is going to make in Detroit. The DFP has been very supportive of the Mayor. The DFP got carried away on the Lions 18th straight loss. They also gave a lot of ink to MSU's loss but little comment on CMU's win. Good grief isn't CMU a Michigan school.

After lunch I spent some time on my computer trying to find the name of the non-profit organizations that help support local parks. I am thinking of making a small donation to the County's Millennium Park and also GR Parks. I am always amazed at how crowded the local parks are. Senior citizens love GR's Riverside Park. I also like the plan for Millennium Park. When this park is fully developed it will be one of the finest parks in the Midwest.

Since it was such a nice day I loaded up the kayak and headed for Reeds Lake. It was a perfect day to be on the lake. No jet skis or water skiers were on the lake. I am always surprised at the new lakeside homes that are being built. They are all very substantial.

When I got home I took a short walk. Tonight was cereal night but I did have a Klondike bar. We watched the men's final at the US Open. It was great tennis.

Ossineke, MI this date in 1938. It was a warm clear Wednesday morning but it started to rain at noon. GG dug some potatoes but had to leave them out in the rain. GGM and Julia pulled about 2 bushel of bean pods. Julia shelled some and cooked them for dinner.

GG is 82 years old and I am amazed at the time he spends working in the garden, the post office and running errands. GG was born in 1856, 4 years before the US Civil War. He seems to embrace all the new ideas like cars, radios and farm implements. Life is not easy but GG seems very content. He has never complained in his diary. I am sure that GG had little formal schooling but his spelling is much better than his great grandson.

No comments: