Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Tuesday September 15, 2009

It is only 6 days to the start of fall but you would not know it in GR. Today was another sunny day with a high temperature of 84 degrees. We had the coldest July on record but September is making up for our lack of warm weather. A wise farmer once told me that one extreme follows another. This year he is correct.

Since we have returned from our trip to Kazakhstan I cannot wake up before 0630. I want to get up at 0606 so maybe I should set my alarm. Nancy says setting the alarm is stupid. I am retired and should quit worrying about time. Old habits die hard.

Nancy bought a new vacuum sweeper and after lunch I got the sweeper out of the box and assembled it. We had 40 pounds of packaging for 11 pounds of sweeper. The instructions were quite clear and I had the thing assembled in 10 minutes.

The weather was so nice I loaded up the kayak and headed for Duncan Lake. Duncan Lake is located in northern Barry County immediately south of the Kent County line. It is a long skinny lake with some nice homes. Almost all the homes are year round homes. It took 1.5 hours to paddle around the lake. It was a great day for a paddle, only two fishing boats were on the lake. The leaves appear to be turning color and dropping sooner than past years. Although I cannot verify it, I think the acorn crop this year is a bumper crop.

I had on my calendar that tomorrow I have a GRBA meeting. I called the City to check on the meeting and sure enough my calendar was correct. Usually the city staff sends a meeting packet several days before the meeting. I just got mine at 4 PM today.

Ossineke, MI this date in 1938. It was a cool Thursday but GG noted no frost. GG dug potatoes while GGM and Julia picked beans. GG helped shell some beans.

When I was in HS boys only were given a day off for bird season and a day off for deer season. Boys and girls were give a week off for potato picking.

No comments: