Thursday, March 4, 2010

Thursday March 4, 2010

2104: Today is my mother's birthday. She would be 103. Teddy R was president when mother was born. Mother always said she was born on Inauguration Day. Until 1940 presidents took office on March 4. Today it is January 20. In 1907 Oklahoma became the 46th State. I remember in 1942 or 43 my father was working for the US Army in Chicago and he sent my mother a birthday present wrapped in the Sunday funny papers. I loved looking at the funnies. Dad wrote mother a letter every day he was away. WWII created disruptions to almost every family. In fact in going through our family material I found WWII rationing cards for my sister and me.

Today I got up at 0630 and immediately started my morning routine. I was going to ride my bike to the MAC but it was still very cold. I took the C2. In the hour I am at the Kava House I can read the DFP and the first section of the WSJ. I had a scheduled appointment at the Kent County Health Department to get my 2nd Hep B shot. I was scheduled for 1300 and had my shot by 1315.

This afternoon I made several phone calls. I called Tom Cassell an AHS classmate. Tom was not home. I called SPS at work to see if he had received a package. Steve was not available. I called Donni at LSE and talked to her about the new phone I purchased. Donni as always was in a good mood. I also talked to my sister. We talked about mother and our memories. Helen also said that it looks like cousin Peg's estate will be closed soon. Helen has done a good job pulling all the loose ends together.

Later in the afternoon I put on my bike helmet, pumped up the tires and took a 40 minute ride. It was my first ride of the year. It felt great. After the ride, Nancy and I headed to GLS for our Thursday night dinner. We got home in time for the evening news. Not much on TV except Tom Brokaw's Boomer series on CNBC. I was going to watch it, but heck, I am not a Boomer. I would like to see Tom Hank's series on the war in the Pacific, WWII. It is on HBO and I might see if I can get HBO just for this series. I got my 30 in today did you?

No comments: