Monday, May 4, 2009

Monday May 4, 2009

I slept in this morning. Woke at 0630 and had to hustle to get Nancy her coffee. After my morning routine at home I had to stop by Master Cleaners on my way to the MAC. I need a clean blazer for the Wednesday night party at Meijer's Garden. I wore a hooded sweatshirt on my morning run. It was too much as I was ringing wet when finished. Tomorrow I will run sans the sweatshirt. As usual I had coffee at the Kava House.

This afternoon I cleaned my desk. Several neglected items were taken care of. I got a letter and gift out to the ICU at Mt Pleasant Hospital. I also inspected as best I could a duplex that Sasha was looking at. I finished the day cutting the grass. It took me 3 hours. Dinner tonight was cereal. I am hurrying to finish this blog so I can watch 24 at 9 PM.

May 1927, Grandmother Hughes in Europe.

My Grandmother Hughes was born in 1869 in Alpena, the daughter of James and Eliza McTavish. My Grandfather Hughes, in 1927, ran a successful sawmill in Alpena. The Michigan lumber boom had provided enough money for my Grandmother to travel to Europe. Grandfather Hughes took his own special vacation. He travelled by tramp steamer from NY through the Panama Canal and ending up in Portland, OR the home of his two sisters. I have a copy of Grandmother diary for this trip. The diary starts in Alma where Grandmother was visiting my Aunt Helen prior to her departure. Several entries follow:
  • May 1 leave Alma for Detroit.
  • May 2 leave Detroit, via RR, for NY.
  • May 3 arrive NY Tuesday morning. Spent rest of day in stores.
  • May 4, sightseeing. Visited Grants Tomb, Riverside Drive, Ghetto, mansions of rich and famous, Old Trinity Church.

Ossineke, MI this date in 1938. Heavy rain and thunder storms last night. Drove to Lutheran Church with Julia, Mrs Nuggle, and others. They had dinner at the church. GG worked in post office in afternoon.

No comments: