Saturday, October 24, 2009

Friday October 23, 2009

It rained all night and it was raining when I got up. Today I am going to Alpena to attend a visitation for my cousin Ann's husband, Gary. Gary passed away on Wednesday. I stopped at the Kava House for coffee and a scone. It rained all the way to Alpena. However, the rain seems to have heightened the fall colors. The colors were spectacular. M72 was under construction at Grayling so I drove north to Gaylord and took M32 east to Alpena. In Gaylord I stopped at Jay's and bought a wool railroad vest for this winter.

When I first got to Alpena I drove by the old family homestead at 123 First. The place looked good and well maintained. At the funeral home I had to opportunity to talk to my cousin Ann. Gary, her husband, had lung cancer for the past 18 months. Ann looked good considering the circumstances. It had been several years since I had visited with her. I also spoke with my 95 year old Aunt Ruth, cousins Judy and Gail and their husbands. I spent about 2 hours at the home.

I had not been along the Lake Huron shore in some time so I drove home along US 23. I thought there would be a lot of For Sale signs but the number of signs appeared normal. The wind was very strong and blowing from the east. The waves on Lake Huron were very high. I would not want to be on a boat on a day like this. I pulled into the drive at 9:30. I put 565 miles on the car. I was glad I went.

I did drive through Ossineke today trying to find GG's home. I had no luck.

Ossineke, MI this date in 1938. It was a rainy Sunday in Ossineke. GG was home all day. Church was at 1130 and 19 folks were in attendance. GG had dinner with Julia. The Hunters visiting from Detroit went home today. In 1938 the trip from Ossineke to Detroit took about nine hours.

No comments: