Wednesday, July 31, 2019

Tuesday July 30, 2019

Tuesday July 30, 2019

Blog time 1125 at Panera

Slept with the windows open last night.  The temperatures were in low 70s but humidity was 90%.  The humidity made sleeping unpleasant.

Slept in until 0645.  Nancy had been up for some time.  She had already taken Ms P out and fed her.

Nancy headed to her Tuesday swim at MVP. This evening Nancy and I are working the concert at Meijer’s Garden.  We have to be there at 1630.

After breakfast I headed out on my 7 mile ride to Y.  Today I did not see any critters.

Exercised at the Y before headed to Panera.

End of July memories:

In HS I worked June and several weeks into July on my Grandfather’s farm.  In mid July I started working for Dad.  I worked on a survey crew.  I really enjoyed working outside.  We would have many road projects in the surrounding counties.  On some jobs we would stay overnight.  I liked eating out and listening to all the dirty stories the older guys told.  I soaked it all up.

I always talk about my stay on Midway Island when in the Navy.  I tell everyone I spent 1 year, two weeks, three days, and 13 hours on the Island.  That is not really true because on the last Monday in July 1962 I boarded the log flight to Hawaii.  The US military had a vacation retreat at Fort DeRussy on Waikiki Beach.  For $5 a night I got a small room with a cot.  The bathroom was down the hall.  I thought I was in heaven.  Rented a car and drove around the island.  Spent time on Waikiki Beach.  A Navy pilot who was on a 90 day rotation on Midway even fixed me up with a Navy nurse.  We had dinner at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel.  I insisted on going to the Royal Hawaiian because I remember as a boy listening to a Saturday night radio show call Hawaii Calls.  It was broadcast from the Royal Hawaiian.  On a cold February night I would be under a ton of covers and dreamed of being at the RH.  Headed back to Midway on Friday.  Five days in Paradise. This break saved my sanity.

Shower, lunch and a nap before fixing apple snack.  At 1600 Nancy and I headed to Meijer Gardens.  Nancy is selling tickets and I am taking tickets.

Tuesday night concert are free to members.  Today a very popular local band is playing.  The band called the 6 Pack is made up of six women who graduated from GR’s West Catholic in the late 60s.  They play music of the 60s.

Last night set a Tuesday night attendance record.  Over 2,000 folks attended.  The concert runs from 7 to 9.  6 Pack came on at 2000 and played for a solid hour.  No stopping or talking, just high energy music.  The crowd went wild.  

Absolutely perfect Summer’s night for a concert.  I even saw several folks that I knew.  Everyone left in a great mood.


At home I watched some of the Democrat debate and read the GRP.  No AC tonight.  Tomorrow will be another nice sunny day.

No comments: