Thursday, November 20, 2008

Thursday November 20, 2008

I encountered snow flakes on my bike trip to the MAC this morning. I have finally learned how to dress for the cold. So riding the bike on cold mornings is not unpleasant.

I continue to read the Detroit Free Press with my morning coffee. The crisis with the car makers is front page news. Of course the Free Press is very supportive of the auto industry. I get very passionate about the future of the car industry. Having spent most of my life in MI I know how important its survival is to the state.

When I was in HS we played a football game in Flint. There were 10,000 people at the game. Most of the people had ties to Alpena. It was very common for young men right out of Alpena HS to head south to Flint for a job in the auto plants. The pay was good and overtime plentiful. No experience needed. Starting UAW workers made more money than starting teachers or engineers. At my 50th HS reunion I was surprised to learn how many of my classmates were retired from an auto plant. Most had returned to Alpena. If GM or Ford goes bankrupt their retirement pay could be reduced. This is not a pleasant thought.

This afternoon I took a 3 mile walk. I stopped at the bank and renewed a CD that had come due. The current interest is 4%.

Nancy is on the OHNA board so she had a 6PM board meeting. At 7PM an open meeting of the OHNA was held. There was a good turnout. Nancy was reelected Treasurer.

Tomorrow we must finishing packing for our trip to DSL's and SPS's. I am looking forward to the trip.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel you about the auto industry but am frustrated with the CEOs' behavior of taking a private jet to DC. If you're in the bloody auto industry, support it by driving your car. Greed like that is just mindboggling.

Enjoy CA.. we have a foot of snow already. I'm not a happy camper.