Friday, November 14, 2008

Friday November 14, 2008

The day started with a light rain. Today I am going to Rosebush so I had to hurry my exercise routine. I decided to walk 4.5 miles. For breakfast I stopped at the Bagel Beanery and had 2 bagels and a coffee.

On my way north I noted the heavy traffic. It finally hit me, today is the day before hunting season. November 15 is a magic day in Michigan. When I was in high school all the guys got an excused absence for school. No luck for girls.

My dad use to spend a whole week getting ready for deer season. His office was even closed on the 15th because all the men were hunting.

Cousin Peg was in a good mood. She loves her satellite radio. We had lunch at Bob Evans and talked about family. After lunch we stopped at the Rosebush library to get Peg a card. She can walk to the library from the Manor. I have to buy her a CD player that has large buttons. She must be able to push one button to start and stop the machine. I also want the machine to stop and start where she left off.

Tonight Nancy and I had dinner at home. She fixed me some soup from Trader Joe's. It was good.

Today I bought a book on 1938. In 38 the life expectancy was 59 years, a new home cost $3,900, new car $860. A gallon of gas cost $0.10 and a gallon of milk $0.50. No TV and we burned coal for heat. Instead of dial phones we just picked up the receiver and told the operator the number we wanted. Jimmy Ms phone # was 484. Phone operators were usually high school girls.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1938 sounds like some good times! (minus the age expectancy).