Sunday, March 5, 2023

March 4, 2023

 Saturday March 4, 2023

Blog time 0830 on Sunday, a day late.

Up on Saturday at 0715, dressed and made a beeline to “The Gathering Place”.  The restaurant is beginning to lose its luster.  For the past two weeks we were not allowed to sit by a window, even thought several tables were empty.  Bummer.  

We had our standard fare.  A Western Omelette for Nancy and oatmeal with a scrambled eggs for me.  We both had raisin toast.  As always the food was good.

After breakfast we took a short ride.  It was sunny with temps slightly below freezing.  Rode along the Thornapple River.  The wild fowl were very active.  On most Saturdays we drive through the Village of Ada.  The Village is going through a big transformation.  New apartments and retail stores are being built.  We check on the progress of construction every Saturday.

We ended our drive at “Total Wines”. I replenished my wine supply of my favorite red blend “Apothic Red”. 

At home we changed the bed sheets.  Nancy started the laundry and I suited up and headed out on a bike ride.  Total miles today, 8.1.  It took me 1 hour and 21 minutes.  Pretty slow.

I called my sister, Helen, in Tucson today.  March 4th is our mother’s birthday.  Today Mom would have been 116.

I remember one of my best memories of Mom’s birthdays.  It was 1943 or 44 during WWII.  Dad was too old for the military but the war effort was in great need of civil engineers.  Dad was sent to Chicago to work in military base management.  He could not come home for Mom’s birthday but sent a huge box.  The box was loaded with presents for Mom.  What I remember most was that the gifts were wrapped in the Chicago Tribune color comics.  Mom enjoyed the presents but I had a field day looking at the comics.

After my bike ride I showered and took a short nap.  For dinner tonight Nancy and I drove to “Zoup’s” for a bowl of soup.  I had lobster bisque and Nancy had chicken noodle.  Very good.

Debbie FaceTimed tonight.  We got caught up.

Tonight I finally talked Nancy into watching a show “Entrapped” filmed in Iceland with English subtitles.  A grim crime show but worth watching.

It was clear with temps above freezing when checked outside before bed.  Tomorrow should be a nice sunny day.



No comments: