Saturday, March 5, 2022

March 4, 2022

 March 4, 2022

Blog time 1700 sitting in office on Saturday:  yes I am a day late.

Slept in this morning until almost 0900.  My stomach has been acting up lately.  I attribute the sour stomach to coffee.  Free refills at Panera does not help.  I have decided to take is easy today.

I did all my calisthenics at home this morning. Decided no aerobics today.  

After feeding the birds I went back to bed for a short nap.  After the nap I drove to Panera because my award app said I had a free bagel.  I grabbed the free bagel (no coffee) and headed home.

Spent the morning reading the papers.  For lunch I had a cup of yogurt.  This afternoon I took another nap.

Today March 4 is my Mother’s birthday.  Margaret Louise Hughes was born in 1907 in Alpena.  She graduated from Alpena High in 1924 and from UM in 1928.  Mother majored in French with a minor in English.

Her first teaching job was in the small St. Joseph County community of Constantine, current population of 2,000. About 10 miles north of the Indiana line.

Mother told me she loved Constantine and the school system.  She started work in 1928.  Worked two years but the great depression hit in 29 and the school system had no money.  She was paid in script.  She was forced to move back to Alpena and live with my Grandparents.  She did get a job with the Alpena Schools.  

She starting seeing Dad, Robert S. Scott, a high school classmate soon after moving back to Alpena.  Dad had a job with the Road Commission.  The rest is history.

Today the over 60 church group met at Euro Bistro.  We left home at 1745 and walked to Euro Bistro.  

25 folks were at the dinner.  Pleasant dinner of wine, food and conversation.  Left at 2030 for the short walk home.

Finished the evening watching another episode of “Stay Close”.

No comments: