Monday, August 10, 2020

Sunday August 9, 2020

Sunday August 9, 2020

Sunny this morning with temps later today reaching the high 80s. Nancy headed out on her morning 3 mile walk.  I dressed and drove to Panera to get a coffee and bagel for myself and a hazelnut coffee for Nancy.

At home I fixed a bowl of oatmeal, toasted my bagel, ate a banana and enjoyed my coffee while reading the GRP.  At 0915 we turned to YouTube on my iPad and watched the 22nd streaming service from Trinity Lutheran.  Nancy and I both miss attending a real church service.

After church I finished reading the GRP.  At 1100 took a relaxing 7 mile bike ride.

This and that:

I was thinking while riding that during my summers on the farm my Grandfather and I would shoot a chicken for our Sunday meal.

I got the first shot and if I missed Grandfather got the second.  If after several tries we still did not have a chicken Grandfather would get his shotgun and end it for the frightened bird.

My Grandmother would clean the bird and we would have fried chicken with mashed potatoes for our big meal.  We ate a lot of mashed potatoes on the farm.  Great memories.

We watch Our Church services on YouTube.  After the service I watch a clip of Scottish Military Bagpipe bands.  Love bagpipe music.  In fact I told Nancy at my funeral I want her to hire a bagpiper to play Amazing Grace.

During high school a popular dance was called the “Herr Schmidt”.  I used YouTube’s search function and sure enough found several renditions of Herr Schmidt.  The magic of the internet.

During the school year on many Sundays the five of us would attend a late afternoon movie.  After the movie we would go to Jim and Ann’s for burgers.  Life was great in the 50s.

Lunch and then took a short nap.  Spent some time reading the news before finishing the afternoon with a short walk.  Tough walk because the temperature was in high 80s with humidity near 90%.  I think we call this condition “muggy”.

For dinner tonight we cleaned out the refrigerator.  Asian Chicken salad with blueberries and a croissant.

We watched the local news before switching to Apple TV.  Watched an episode of Call the MidWifes.  Nancy headed to bed and I watched an episode of Ozark.  Not very good.

Debbie called after Nancy had gone to bed.  She was late because she spent several hours on her porch talking with a neighbor.  Good to see Debbie socializing.

It was still hot and muggy when I checked outside at 2200.  Turned the AC off before turning in.  At midnight I turned the AC back on.


No comments: