Monday, July 6, 2020

Sunday July 5, 2020

Weekend update for WE Sunday 05Jul20

Saturday July 4, 2020

Up at 0630.  Look like another hot sunny day. 

Today is the official July 4th holiday.  Since the mid 70s we have spent most July 4th mornings attending the Hollyhock Lane Parade.  The parade is held in the Ottawa Hill area of GR.  Because of the Coronavirus some changes were made to this year’s parade.  No decorated kids bikes and no band in the parade.  However, all the public services had vehicles in the Parade.  Many fire engines, police cars, ambulances, city dump trucks all with their sirens blaring were in the parade.  Also a lot of antique cars.  This being an election year many politicians were in attendance.  Usually the pols give out candy to the kids.  Not this year.  I was surprised that the parade was well attended.

After the parade Nancy and I drove through Eastown looking for a place to have breakfast.  No luck.  We ended up having breakfast at Bob Evans near our condo.  We were impressed at the precautions Bob Evans had taken to protect diners.  Every other table was off limits.  The staff disinfected every table before use.  Beside that the food was good.

Past July 4:

In my youth we spent several holidays at my Grandparents farm at Hubbard Lake.  I remember my Uncle’s making homemade ice cream.

In the Navy I spent the 1961 fourth at OCS in Newport, RI, 1962 was spent on Midway Island, 1963 and 64 I spent in Vietnam.  I cannot recall any special events.

In 1966 Nancy, Debbie and I were living in Redwood City, CA and we attended a parade.

From 1973 on we spent several holidays attending and participating in the Hollyhock Lane Parade.

When our kids were young we spent a 4th at my Dad’s hunting club, Doctors Club.

At 1130 I headed out on a 9 mile bike ride.  After the ride I shaved and showered before lunch.

I did take a nap this afternoon.  At 1730 Nancy and I drove to Culver’s for takeout.  Nancy got a hot fudge sundae and I purchased a cod sandwich.  We ate the food at home while watching the news.

Tonight we watched a Mission Impossible movie on Prime.  Seen one you have seen them all.

Talked to both Girls today.  They spent a quiet fourth in CA.  
Sunday July 5th

Up at 0630.  Nancy took a short walk.  I dressed and drove to Panera to get us a coffee.  Fixed breakfast and started reading the GRP.  At 0915 we switched to YouTube and watched Trinity Lutheran’s streaming church service.  We sang a lot of patriotic hymns.

At 1100 I headed out on a 9 mile bike ride.  It was very hot. However, the sun was out.  The sun trumps everything.

As I was leaving on the bike ride I scared a deer feeding in our front yard.  Also saw another deer on my ride.  Seeing critters make my day.

Quick shower and then I drove to D&W to get the Escape filled.  Gas was $2.17.  

Lunch and then finished reading the GRP.  I took my mandatory Sunday nap.  Today I took the nap in the basement because it is cooler.

Nancy and I took a mile walk in late afternoon.  The temperature was 89.  Luckily I turned the AC on before we left so we came home to a cool house.

For dinner Nancy fixed her world famous poached eggs.  I had mine on a waffle.  

60 Minutes is rerunning old programs so we retired immediately after dinner to the den to watch a movie on Apple TV.  This evening we watched “Patriots Day” a movie about the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing.  We both liked it.   

We had a brief shower roll through early this evening.  I think the rain was very localized.  Bright moon when took Ms P out at 2200.  Turned AC off before turning in.

Debbie and Missy FaceTimed today.  Everything ok in GR.





No comments: