Wednesday, January 2, 2019

Tuesday January 1, 2019

Tuesday January 1, 2019;  

HAPPY NEW YEAR, PEACE ON EARTH

Blog time 1445 sitting in office

You would think since we spent a quiet NYE at home that we would be up early.  No, I did take Ms P out at 0600 but headed back to bed.  We slept in until 0800.

The rain had stopped and the temp was 30.  No sun just dark and gloomy.

This morning we walked to Panera for breakfast.  The place was empty.  

At home we put a jacket on Ms P and drove to Tanger’s Discount Mall.  I bought a sweater at Brooks Brother and Nancy bought a tee shirt at Talbots.  

Put out the corn for the deer before lunch.  It is now 1500 and Nancy and I are working in the downstairs office.

Most folks associate New Year’s Day with football bowl games.  Several bowl games I remember;

1948 UM played USC in the Rose Bowl.  Our family was invited to the home of Grace Fletcher to listen to the game on the radio.  Yes folks radio.  I think at least 50 folks were in attendance.  Two thing I remember was all the good food and the score, UM 49 USC 0.

  
January 1, 1954; MSU/UCLA;  we did have a TV with a large rotating antenna attached to the side of our house.  My Dad was a MSU alum and we watched the entire game.  The reception was snowy and sporadic.  MSU won the game on a last second field goal.  Dave Kaiser a graduate of Alpena High kicked the field goal.  The field goal was the talk of the town for weeks.  Dave Kaiser was a local hero.

This afternoon we paid our winter property taxes.  I walked to the post box to mail them.  

I took a short nap before dinner.  Right after sundown, 1718, I looked out and saw two deer eating the corn.  I had put out only enough for a single deer.  Tomorrow I will put out enough for two.

Nancy fixed spaghetti for dinner.  We also had a coleslaw salad and a croissant.

Fixed Nancy her cheese pill treat and then settled down to watch TV.  We were half way through the NCIS show when we realized it was a rerun.  So much for my great memory.  Finished the evening with an episode of The Five.









No comments: