Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Wednesday June 24, 2009

Wednesday is my easy day. I slept in until 0630 this morning. It was another hot, steamy day. I had breakfast at Wolfgang's and although the food was ok it was much too noisy. I loaded up the kayak and headed for Spring Lake. I put in at the Fruitport Road boat launch. Despite the bad economy the parking lot at the launch was full. I noticed a lot of new pickups and trailers. A pickup, boat and trailer can cost $75,000. I conclude some people are still working and spending money. I paddled around the upper end of Spring Lake. Spring Lake has a lot of beautiful, well maintained homes. At every home's dock I noticed a new ski doo or boat. I paddled for about 3 hours. On a lake my paddling speed is about 2.5 miles per hour. After the paddle I stretched my legs by going on a 3 mile walk.

My sister and 2 other church ladies are coming to GR to attend a church conference. I spent some time cleaning the guest bathroom and vacuuming the carpet upstairs. When you are retired you are willing to do a lot of household chores that you would not do if working. Tomorrow Nancy and I are going to Ithaca to attend a retirement party. Friday my sister and church ladies come and Nancy and I are going out to dinner. Sunday Nancy and I are going to Livonia for a vendor's show. We have a busy schedule for the next few days.

June 24, 1927 with Grandmother Hughes in Brussels. Grandmother wrote: "in the morning visit Cooks office and go around city. June 24, PM visit places of importance in city as it rained too hard to go to Waterloo. Saw where Edith Cavill was shot, Place of Justice, King's Palace, Weirtz pictures".

Ossineke, MI this date in 1938. Worked in Mrs garden all day. David picked bugs. Ice Cream Social at church, cleared about $2.00. Kitter plowing, day 2.

No comments: