Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Tuesday June 2, 2009

It seems during grass cutting season I get up the next morning 30 minutes later than normal. This morning was no exception. Today was a nice but cool day. I think the high temperature was 65. This morning's DFP had a whole special section dedicated to the GM bankruptcy. The impact of the bankruptcy on Michigan communities is huge. I am surprised how emotional I get when talking GM. My father always drove GM vehicles. He would buy a new car every two years. His car of choice was the Pontiac Bonneville. Dad put about 30,000 miles per year on his cars. Some of my best memories with Dad revolve around car trips. One year during spring break I accompanied Dad on a trip through the upper peninsula. We stopped at every city and county road commission in the UP. I was old enough to drink so every evening Dad and I would have a very enjoyable dinner. The trip took 5 days.

This afternoon I stopped by the Mercury dealer to look at a sable, which is Mercury's version of the Taurus. They did not have any in stock and commented that Mercury would no longer make a sable. I also tried to buy a USGS topo map at Al & Bob's Sporting Goods. After 20 years Al & Bob's no longer carry the maps. The times they are a changing.

I took a 14 mile bike trip this afternoon. When I got home Nancy and I decided to trim a bush by the corner of the garage. It took us 1 hour and 4 yard waste bags. This evening I had a turkey sandwich, baked potatoes and corn on the cob. Nancy had an omelet. This evening we will watch the Red Wings, NCIS, NBC's tour of the White House and the Mentalist. I have to get this blog done by 8 PM.

June 2, 1927 with Grandmother Hughes in Rome, Italy. This an interesting day for Grandmother. She had an audience with the Pope. They arrived at the Vatican at 1 PM and waited till 2:30 before the Pope came in. Grandmother made no other comments on the audience with the Pope. I am surprised she did not go into more detail. Maybe it was because Grandmother was a God fearing Methodist.

Ossineke, MI this date in 1938. Great Grandfather Sanborn was not very detailed either on his day. He wrote: "nice clear to cloudy, we drove to Alpena AM, Post office PM. Ladies aid at church. Good rain last night".

No comments: