Saturday, June 20, 2009

Saturday June 20, 2009

Boy! did it rain last night. Nancy and I watched the early morning weather news and Holland got 9" of rain over the past 24 hours. This is about a 1 in 100 year event. Damage was extensive. In GR we got 3" but after breakfast the sun came out. Since we had flood warnings out on all the local rivers I decided to go for a bike ride. I started at Riverside Park and pedalled 12.5 miles north and returned. A 25 mile ride on a beautiful sunny day. When I got home I showered and then Nancy and I headed for the Art Fair in East Grand Rapids. They had a good size crowd but it did not seem as large as last year. We stayed home this evening because we will be going out tomorrow. We just finished talking with Steve on skype. I also talked to Sasha. She was at SF airport waiting for her flight to Singapore. Tomorrow is the summer solstice and the start of summer. I always experience some depression because the days are getting shorter.

June 20, 1927 with Grandmother Hughes in Lucerne. Today Grandmother left Lucerne at 0730 and arrived in Mayence (?) at 7:30 PM. She will stop overnight at Central Hotel. She likes it very much. Dinner in the room was $1.25 + tax and breakfast about $0.50.

Ossineke, Mi this date in 1938. It was Monday and the entire family went to the garden in the morning. GG hoed squash and the other hoed little stuff. GG stayed home in the afternoon.

No comments: