Friday, February 6, 2009

Thursday February 5, 2009

We left Waynesboro, VA at 0830 and headed up the Shenandoah Valley on I 81. It was a great drive. On our way we passed through a small section of MA. I can add another state to my list because this is my first time in MA. We turned west on I 70 and entered PA. We travelled through the mountains of PA. It was very scenic. When we drove through Washington, PA Nancy pointed out that this was the birthplace of her father. We left PA and drove through a short stretch of WV. We entered OH at Wheeling, WV. I noted a lot of barge traffic on the Ohio River.


Immediately after crossing the Ohio River we headed south along O7 until we hit O148. O148 was a very curvy, mountainous route. Top speed 40 mph. It was very scenic with hardwood forests and several very large old homes. We also saw a lot of double wides. We were in Appalachi. The community of Armstrong Mills consists of about 30 homes and two churches. A sizeable stream runs through the community but we noted no dam that could have powered a flour mill. Armstrong Mills is in coal country and we saw several mines and coal load facilities along side the RR (NSC). Nancy and I were glad to see the RR and coal industry thriving in OH as we have stock in both.


After our visit we head north to pick up I 70 again. We enjoyed the trip to Armstrong Mills. We spent the night near Springfield, OH. We ate dinner at the Texas Roadhouse and it was jammed. Both Nancy and I noted all the trucks on the road and the number of people eating out and spending money. I don't think the economy is as bad as the news media reports.


No comments: