Saturday, February 14, 2009

Saturday February 14, 2009

Alas! It snowed last night. We got about 3 1/2" and the first thing we had to do was shovel the walk. We had to hurry because Nancy had a 0700 class at the MAC. After shovelling I drove to D&W to get a NYT. Neither the NYT or DFP had been delivered so I had to read a GRP with breakfast. I had breakfast at the Brandywine. After breakfast I again shovelled the drive. I wanted to get as much snow as possible off the drive because when the sun came out it would dry up the remaining snow.

I walked around Reeds Lake. Despite the snow it was a pleasant walk. When I got home the sun had indeed dried the driveway. I took a short nap and then played with my computer. I was going to say worked on my computer but how can a retired guy work?

This evening Nancy and I drove to Great Lakes Shipping for a valentine's day dinner. We had in the dining room instead of the bar. Nancy had the prime rib and I had the salmon. Both were great.

Did you know that I was born before turn signals and the automatic transmission? In yesterdays blog I mentioned that in 1938 Uncle Guy had 2 ton of coal delivered. Until I was 18 we used coal to heat our home. It was very dirty. Every morning I had to empty the ashes from the furnace and start the fire. During the day I had to periodically go down the basement and add more coal. I think one of the best things that happened in Alpena was the construction of a gas transmission line to the city. Natural gas is a lot easier and cleaner than coal. However, I do like coal for the generation of electricity. It certainly is plentiful in the US and is a cheap method of generating power.

Ossineke, MI this date in 1938. GG did not mention that today was Valentines Day. He did mentioned that they were having serious flooding in Southern MI and Cheboygan.

No comments: