Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Tuesday December 30, 2008

We had no snow today. In fact the sun was shining most of the day. Last night Nancy and I discussed whether or not we should go to Jimmy Kirkwood's funeral. We had been to the funeral home and met all the Kirkwood.

As I was finishing running at the MAC, Nancy said she wanted to go to the funeral. She said that acquaintances go to visitation but friends go to the funeral. As always Nancy was right.

My Uncle Jim Hughes always said my Grandfather Hughes, a very devout Methodist, would go to funerals and comment after the service that it was a good funeral. As Uncle Jim explained Grandfather thought that if the service was well run and a lot of people were in attendance that the deceased was being sent off the way the Lord intended.

Jimmy's service was held at the Cathedral of Saint Andrew, a beautiful church. The service was splendid and the church was packed. A lunch was served after the service. Jack and Rita, Jimmy's parents, looked as if they had reached closure and that Jimmy was in God's hands. My Grandfather Hughes would say that this was a good funeral.

We had lunch with Ruth Molenaar. Heidi and Jennifer were at the funeral. We also talked with the Kirkwood children.

Nancy and I stopped at Blockbusters on our way home and picked up several movies for over the holiday. We intend to stay home New Year's Eve.

Around 3 PM JD and I had a beer and talked about some career choices for JD. It makes me feel good when ex-employees want my opinion.

It was a busy day. It started to snow about an hour ago. I had better get to bed so I will be ready for shovelling tomorrow. I got my 30 in.

No comments: