Saturday, November 26, 2016

Friday November 25, 2016

Blog time: 1115 sitting at Panera

I keep getting alerts that today's Black Friday sales will set a record. How do they know it is only 1115 EST? Nobody made a big deal of the Friday after Thanksgiving when I was growing. I was happy no school.

I loved to play hockey. In Alpena we played outdoors. If we were lucky we could find a pond that was frozen on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Good memories.

Speaking of memories on this day in 1961 I arrived on Midway Island to begin my tour. Looking out the plane' window I saw a small speck of an island. Midway is 1300 miles west of Honolulu and 140 miles from the International Date Line. It is part of the Hawaiian chain of island but not part of the state of HI.

Slept in until 0700. No MVP for Nancy today but I got on the bike and headed to the Y. The Y had a lot of families playing basketball and other family activities.

I thought being Black Friday traffic on 28th St would be heavy. It was not. The parking lot a Meijer's was not full. Panera is also empty.

One of the big issues I have with the PE is his opposition to immigration especially from Mexico. Today's WSJ has an article on the plight of small businesses that need workers. No workers are available locally or if they are they are unwilling. These vacancies can be filled by Mexican workers. What is the downside to workers who have a work ethic, are family oriented and want their kids to get a good education? Wise up PE.

As soon as I got home I took Ms P on her walk. We walked in a gentle mist. She was a reluctant walker.

Lunch and then I drove to Meijer's to pick up a prescription.

We all spent the rest of the day inside. I did get my 30 minutes in.

Left over turkey and fixing for dinner. We finished watching the Bond movie and an episode of Ms Fisher.

No comments: