Saturday, May 28, 2016

Saturday May 28, 2016

Log time: 1920

Another nice warm day with temps in the low 80s. Intermittent sprinkles but they did not slow anyone down.

Nancy and I walked over to Panera for breakfast. We usually spend about 90 minutes talking and drinking coffee.

At home I changed into my bike riding clothes. My ride today was 12 pleasant miles.

Ms P and I took our nature walk. I took a shower and changed into warm weather clothes.

Usually every evening I wake up about 0200. Before going back to bed I download tomorrow’s WSJ. This morning I was told no wi-fi. I headed downstairs and played with our router. I finally got back on-line. Still no WSJ. I concluded because of the holiday the WSJ did not print an edition.

I was wrong. Downloaded about 1200.

Nancy is planning on replacing the counter tops in the kitchen. She has the quartz picked out but we still need a new sink and fixtures. Today we headed to Lowe’s to look at sink and sink fixtures. Nancy found what she wanted and the clerk was very helpful. We also looked at dehumidifiers, shower heads and paint. The paint is for both the kitchen and downstairs bath.

At home Nancy ordered a dehumidifier from Amazon Prime. Our painter stopped by with samples for our kitchen and bath. Nancy’s plan is coming together.

For dinner tonight we headed to the recently reopened Cascade Roadhouse. We had a very relaxing dinner.

I finished my daily physical activities with a walk around the block. It looks like a streaming TV night.

Memories of Decoration Day past:

In 1966 May 30 fell on a Monday. That meant a three day weekend for all us working folks. Nancy, Debbie and I were living at 875 Woodside Road in Redwood City, Ca. I was working at Charles McCandless a civil engineering firm in Palo Alto, CA. It was a great place to work. For the past three months we were very busy and working six days a week. I was looking forward to sleeping in on Saturday.

About 0600 I thought the alarm had gone off. I yelled at Nancy to turn off the alarm. Nancy looked around and said it was not the alarm. She looked out the door and saw all our neighbors running out. It was the fire alarm. Nancy grabbed Debbie and headed out. I followed but I got to the stairs but realized that I forgot my cigarettes. I headed back and got them. The entire apartment complex was standing in the courtyard watching the fire fighters do their thing.

We were all in our PJs. The fire was contained to just one unit so we lucked out. My Dad was what folks called insurance poor. He had insurance for everything. He passed it on to me. We had renter’s insurance so if the fire had spread we had some coverage. In talking to our neighbors I found out that none, not one, had insurance.

And that was how we started our Decoration Day weekend in 1966.

No comments: