Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Monday May 30, 2016

Log time: Tuesday 2110

May 30, Memorial Day:

The original purpose of this day was to honor our Military men and women who died in the line of duty.

In the late 40s early 50s, I was a Boy Scout with Troop 78. The City of Alpena always had a big parade on this day. The National Guard, AHS marching band, and several veterans groups marched in the parade. Also marching was my scout troop.

The parade started in downtown and ended at the Cemetery, a distance of about one mile. The National Guard’s Honor Squad gave a 21 one gun salute. Speeches were made and then we visited the family plot.

I remember another highlight of the day. My mother let me take off my long underwear for the summer. After marching in the parade of course.

Today Nancy and walked over to Panera for a quick breakfast. After breakfast we drove to Tanger Outlet Mall. I bought a pair of pants at American Eagle.

At home I took a short bike ride. Shaved, showered and then put on my swim suit. Today Nancy and I are attending a pool party at Kathi’s.

Nancy spent some time in the pool. In fact she got her first sunburn of the year.

Kathi fixed brats for dinner. She also made a great lemonade with Jack Bean.

Another warm sunny day in GR.

No comments: