Sunday, September 12, 2021

September 11, 2021

 Saturday September 11, 2021

Blog time 1300 sitting in office

Up this morning at 0630.  It was still dark.  Sunrise today at 0718.

We quickly dressed and got in Escape and drove to the Gathering Place for Breakfast. Only five folks were seated when we arrived.

We both had our normal breakfast.  Nancy had a Western Omelette with ham and raisin toast.  I had oatmeal with one scrambled egg and raisin toast.  Of course we both had coffee.

Took a short drive around the neighborhood after breakfast.  At home Nancy started the laundry.  I headed out on a 14 mile bike ride.  It was a beautiful day for a bike ride.  Bright sun with temps in high 60s.  The trails were crowded with bikers and walkers.

At home I showered and then had lunch.  This afternoon I drove Nancy to Breton Village.  She visited Talbots and bought a top.

I finished the afternoon with a short nap.

Today is the 20th Anniversary of the Sep 11th attack.  I remember the day well.  I was just leaving the MAC when I saw the Today Shows first report of a plane running in the Trade Center.  Most folks thought it was a small plane.  Info was very sketchy at first.

When I arrived at our Office on the 16th floor of the McKay Tower, Jennifer had turned our small TV on.  We spent a lot of time that day watching the TV News.  The attack dominated the news for weeks.

On Saturday after the attack I was inspecting bridges in the City of GR.  My first inspection was the Ann Street Bridge over the Grand River.  The Ann Street bridge has five deep and wide I beams spaced about 5 feet.  The bottom plate of the I beam was wide enough for me to stand on.  The beams were also just deep enough so that I could support myself by placing my hand on the underside of the concrete deck.  This configuration allowed a great inspection.

I would walk on all five beams.  When I completed my first run I was met by two Grand Rapids Police Officers.  Someone had reported a suspicious man under the bridge.  Most folks were still spooked by 9/11.  It took me some time to explain to the Officers that I was working for the City of GR.  After providing identification and contract documents the Officers let me return to my inspection.

For dinner tonight we drove to Scoopers in Ada.  I got a large cup of vanilla ice cream and Nancy a medium cup of chocolate carmel.  The weather was great so we sat outside and leisurely ate our weekly treat.

Tonight we watched an episode of “The Republic of Doyle” on Acorn.  Good show.  It is filmed in St Johns Newfoundland.

Nancy headed to bed and I stayed up and watched The Defeated on Netflix.  One episode left.

Debbie and Missy FaceTimed this evening.  We gave a positive report.

The temperature was still in 70s when checked the Courtyard at 2200.


 


No comments: