Tuesday, June 12, 2018

Monday June 11, 2018

Monday June 11, 2018

Blog time 1111 at Panera;

Woke up this morning to bright sun.  The temp might reach 80 today.  GR will have 15h18’ of daylight today but Edinburgh, Scotland will have 17h31’.   Of course the temp in Edinburgh will not reach 70 this week.

Took Ms P out but we had to suspend her activities because the sprinklers went off.  We should probably ask the lawn people to change the start time.

Nancy headed to MVP for her healthy lifestyle class.  She also has a Doctor’s appointment for this afternoon.  

Pumped up the bike tires and headed out on my summer route to the Y.  At several normally busy intersections traffic was light.  I assume it is because schools are closed.

Once again we see another example of uncivil actions by folks who should know better.  Robert DeNero comment at last night’s Tony awards to “Fuck Trump” was so out of line.  Luckily only the studio audience heard the comment.  CBS TV was able to delete the comment before it went live.

Headed home at 1230.  The temperature had risen to high 70s.  Both my front and rear bike lights were out so I removed them and put them on the charger.

Nancy’ doctor appointment went well.  I showered, had lunch and then headed to Fox Ford to get my oil changed.  The wait was projected to be 2 hours.  I told them to proceed.  I brought my iPad.

Singapore is in the news because of the meeting between POTUS and the North Korean leader.  I have visited Singapore twice.  The first time was in July 1964.  In 1964 Singapore and Malaysia were one country.  It wasn’t until 1965 that it became an independent country.  In 64, I was in the Navy stationed in Vietnam.  I had about two months left in my tour.  I decided that before I go home I should see more of Asia.  Singapore was not part of the military’s R&R locations.  I had to pay my own way.  I flew Air France.  I immediately liked Singapore because it was clean and modern.  I had several suits made at a local tailor.  The highlight of my trip was to take the train from Singapore to Kuala Lumpur.  It was a great trip traveling through green jungles dotted with small villages along the way.  I remember going to a movie, Tom Jones, Malaysian dialogue with English subtitles.  I took the sleeper train back to Singapore.  I traveled first class so I had my own room.  In the morning I was given tea and crumpets.  Great time.

Second time in Singapore was when Debbie was working for Intel.  She had business in Singapore so we met her there.  Singapore had grown significantly since 1964 but still very modern and clean.  Nancy and I took the subway to a Chinese lantern festival.  It was at the end of the line but we felt very safe.  We also visited the zoo and several botanical gardens. I bought Nancy a “Singapore Sling” at the Raffles Hotel.

It took two hours to get the oil changed.  However, I did get a lot of reading in.

I finished the afternoon with a nap.  We had a simple dinner.  Dishes and then I walked around the block.  We watched the “Indian Detective” on Netflix.  After Nancy headed to bed and I watched an episode of Border Town. I noted that you cannot multi-task when reading subtitles.












No comments: