Monday, March 12, 2018

Sunday March 11, 2018

Weekend Update

Blog started Saturday March 10 sitting in living room.

Saturday March 10:  very cold this morning with temps in low 20s.  Luckily no wind and the sun will warm things up fast.

We walked to Panera for our typical Saturday breakfast.  Actually I was the only one to eat.  Nancy is on a schedule where she only eats between 1530 and 2030.  Panera had a nation wide computer shut down and we had to pay in cash.

We usually spend about an hour at Panera.  Nancy started the laundry as soon as we got home.  At 0955 I drove her to the Cascade Library for their annual book sale.  The place was crowded.  I stopped at D&W on way home to buy some bananas.  Panera was out this morning.

At home finished yesterday’s blog.  Nancy called about 1045 saying she was ready to come home.  Nancy had purchase two books.  

I scanned the papers while Nancy finishes the laundry.  It is now 1145 and I will take a break and go on a short bike ride.  The temperature is up 14 degrees from early this morning.  Stay tuned.

Today I took an 11 mile bike ride.  I biked a new route that I might incorporate into my morning routine.  As the weather improves I want to spend more time on the bike than walking.  I have recently limited my walking and it seems to help the hip.

After the ride I showered and took a short nap.  For dinner we headed to Charlie’s Bar on Plainfield.  We met the Moleski’s.  Tom and I had the smelt basket.  The place was crowded.  We rate Charlie’s a solid B.

At home we had our weekly FaceTime chat with Debbie.  Everything is going well in San Jose.

We watched an episode of Collateral on Netflix.  We have one episode left.  I like the show.  Changed the clocks ahead before turning in.

Sunday March 11:  we had trouble getting up with one less hour of sleep.  We did, however, make it to the Y at 0800.  Headed straight home after our workouts and got ready for church.

The 1000 service was not very crowded.  Did DST confuse folks?

We stopped at Meijer’s for supplies and gas.  Quick lunch and then I read a few sections of the paper before my nap.

After the nap I got on the summer bike and rode around the neighborhood.  Eight miles in 65 minutes.

Nancy and I spent some time trying to make some online transfers with no luck.  Tonight Nancy is fixing her world famous scrambled eggs for dinner.  With a hour more daylight I might take a short walk after dinner.  We will watch 60 Minutes and finish reading the GRP before switching to Netflix.

On this date in 1961, Ensign Scott wrote his mother a letter from Naval Station Midway Island.  I had the Officer of the Day (OOD) watch and had a break so I wrote the letter.

I told Mom that last Monday was the Navy Sea Bee Birthday.  I marched in the parade.  I was also chairman in charge of building two floats for the parade.   The floats and parade were a success.  On Midway we have four SeaBee officers, including your truly, and 200 Enlisted SeaBees in our outfit.  Officially we are the base’s Public Works Department.

It was warm on Midway because I had a sunburn.  I mentioned to Mom starting 1April I would be getting $50 more per month.  I think that brought my pay to $275 per month about 1/2 what a civilian civil engineer would make.  We were paid monthly and in cash.


I signed off by telling I had to stop because I had to make my final rounds which included making sure the bars were closed.  On Midway we had an enlisted men bar, a senior enlisted bar, a Chief’s Club and the Officer’s Club.  Young Ensign’s did not check either the Chief’s or Officer’s Club.

No comments: