Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Tuesday December 24, 2019

Tuesday December 24, 2019

Blog time1150 a Panera

Christmas Eve 2019,  today we celebrate the birth of Jesus.  The major event for Christians all over the world.

Trinity Lutheran has five Christmas Eve services.  We are attending the 1700 service.  It is always a great service.

Folks ask me why several years ago I started regularly going to Church.  My standard reply is “Jesus had it Right”.  Be nice to people, forgive and forget and follow the commandments.  Good advice.

Today took Ms P out at 0600.  For the first time in ages I even fed her.

The pool at MVP is closed for cleaning so Nancy is staying home.  I left home at 0800 just before sunrise at 0810.  It was 32 and foggy, but the bike ride was pleasant.

The Y was jammed.  I had trouble finding a chin-up bar.

Calisthenics/walk and shower before heading to Panera.  Unlike the Y, Panera was empty.

Memories from past Christmas Eves;

In 1957 I was a sophomore at UM and on the wrestling team.  I was selected to go to a Holiday wrestling tournament in Wilkes Barre, Pa.  We were leaving Ann Arbor several days after Christmas.  

Instead of going home I was going to stay on campus.  Christmas was on Wednesday and vacation started on the previous Friday.  All the dorms were closed except one.  I was given a room but no food service.  The dorm was empty and very lonely.  I had never been this lonely.  On Christmas Eve I bought a ticket at the Greyhound station and headed home.  The bus ride was about 9 hours.  I got home at 2200.  Mom and Dad were playing cards.  They were surprised when I walked in.  I told them I wanted to be home for Christmas.

I have spent only two Christmas Eve’s away from family.  The first was in 1961 while stationed on Midway Island.  The second was Christmas Eve in 1963, I was stationed in Saigon.  It was a warm Christmas Eve.  Our living quarters faced TuDo street, a major street in Saigon.  In the early evening I looked out the window and saw that the street was jammed with families.  They were either going to or coming from mass.  The main Catholic Church in Vietnam was just down the street.  I joined them.  It was fun.  The families were friendly and in a festive mood.

Today I put out corn for the deer and then lunch.  Spent most of the afternoon in the office.  At 1630 we headed to Trinity Lutheran for their Christmas Eve service.  As to be expected the Church was packed.  It was a great Christmas Eve.  We sang most of the traditional Christmas Carols.  

The one difference I noted between Christmas Eve service in 2019 compared to 1949 was how casual we have become in our dress.  In 1949 all the men wore suits and ties.  In 2019 no man wore a suit and definitely no ties. I was over dressed with just a sport coat.  

After the service we headed to Bob Evans for a light meal.  Surprised it was closed as were several other restaurants.  We ended up at Shepard’s Grill.  I had a glass of wine and a fried perch sandwich and Nancy had a coke and bowl of bean soup.

At home we watched NCIS and then a Christmas special with Country music performers.  Very relaxing.
  






No comments: