Friday, November 24, 2017

Wednesday November 22, 2017

Wednesday November 22, 2017

Blog time 2200 sitting in living room.  Watching a new Netflix western Godless.

This morning the alarm goes off at 0530 and I get ready for Breakfast Club.  It was cold when I left this morning, 28.  Stopped at Panera for a quick coffee.  Small turnout at BC.  The speaker this morning was from the GR Art Museum.  She gave a good talk on the current GRAM Andy Warhol exhibit and future exhibits.  Good talk.

I was reminded at BC that on this day in1963 President Kennedy was shot.  Most folks of my generation can tell you exactly what they were doing when they first heard of the assassination.

My story:  November 22, 1963, Saigon, Vietnam,  it was 0400 and I was having breakfast at the Brinks Hotel.  The US Navy had leased the hotel for housing and food service for US military.  I was early because I had to catch an Army flight from Saigon to Soc Trong in the Delta.  The Navy was rebuilding the airfield and this was an inspection visit.  LTjg Scott was the project officer.  After I ordered breakfast, creamed chip beef on toast, I was joined by an Army Major.  His name was Nowak.  He told me he had heard JFK had been shot.  I could not believe it!  When I got to the airport the shooting was confirmed and that the President had died.  A very sad day in USA history.

After BC I headed home.  This morning we visited several antique shops in Lake Odessa, Mi.  We all bought something.  I bought the sheet music to the SEABEE song.

We spent a quiet afternoon at home.  I did take a walk.

For dinner we headed to JT’s Pizza.  Nancy and I split a medium ham and pineapple pizza and Debbie had the spaghetti with meatballs.  We gave JT’s a B+.

At home we watched the new Netflix western Godless in the living room.  I feel asleep in my chair.  




No comments: