Saturday, November 4, 2017

Friday November 3, 2017

Friday November 3, 2017

Surprise! I am sitting at Panera writing this blog.

Today is blog #2,816, can you believe it.  I started in 2008.  I have been told the blog is a great cure for insomnia.  My hope is that my Great Grand Kids read the blog so they can see life in the old days.

Bright sun when I headed out this morning.  Breakfast and calisthenics at home before heading out.  With DST ending Sunday, Monday I will start going to the Y.

The GOP’s tax plan is already getting flack.  ENR reported that construction and engineering groups are already opposing the plan.  Of course high tax states like CA, NJ and NY are also opposing.  Why not concentrate on just a business tax cut and replace the income tax with a sales tax.

I have looked at photos of prototypes for the USA/Mexico wall.  Concrete and 30 feet tall.  Good grief a thousand miles of an expensive ugly wall.  Forget it, very stupid!  Try drones.

Nancy spent some time this morning cutting back plants and putting mulch around her rose bushes.  When I got home I helped her empty the flower pots on our deck and also finished putting more mulch around bushes.  Cascade Township will pick up our yard waste on Monday.

We took Ms P on a short walk.  After lunch I got on my 40 year old single speed Miyata and headed to Macatawa Bank to get some cash.  I love riding the single speed it is light weight and maneuvers great.  Of course it is tough on steep hills.  I might put a set of my steel studded winter tires on it and try it this winter.

This evening we are attending several functions.  Our first stop is Meijer Gardens for their Christmas sale.  Next we will head to the GRAM to see an Andy Warhol exhibit.  

We arrived at the Gardens at 1750 and spent about 45 minutes looking around.  Nancy bought several Christmas Tree ornaments. 

Meijer Gardens annually has Christmas trees on display from countries around the world.  Each year Lena Meijer puts a pickle ornament on the German tree.  Nancy said her Grandfather August Hartman, a native German, would also put a pickle on their tree.  It is an old German custom.  

Lena Meijer and her husband Hank started the Gardens.  Lena is 98 years old.  The Meijer’s philanthropy has been enormous.  The Meijer’s are held in high esteem in the GR area.

I liked the Andy Warhol exhibit at the GRAM.  They also had a short movie showing clips of old movies which I thought was great.  Snacks were also available.  

All in all it was a great evening.  Perfect for a Friday night in November.



  

No comments: