Saturday, November 25, 2017

Friday November 24, 2017

Friday November 24, 2017

Blog time 1800 sitting at dining table:

We all got up at the same time today, 0730.  For breakfast we ate at Nonna’s.  Debbie had their big breakfast, I had the oatmeal and Nancy had an omelette.  The food was good but the coffee cold, the service mediocre and the prices high.  We gave it a grade of C.

At home Nancy and Debbie decided to visit Walmart.  I decided on a bike ride.  Started to blow up tires when my bike tipped over damaging a valve stem.  The tire could not be inflated so I got out the single speed.  I took a short ride to Panera.  Finished several blogs and quickly scanned the news before heading home.  Today we had bright sunshine with unseasonably warm temps, mid 50s.

Nancy and I took Ms P on her nature walk.  Quick lunch then I loaded the Bad Boy bike in the Escape and headed to Ada Bike Shop.  Surprise! Ada Bike was closed.  Yes closed on Black Friday?

Unloaded the bike and then walked around the block.  I did take a short nap.  For dinner we had left overs from yesterday’s feast.  It was great.

We watched an episode of Midsomer Murders on Netflix before turning in.

As I mentioned earlier I scanned the news but really don’t want to depress anyone.  It should be a family friendly weekend.

Thanksgiving weekend 1961 continued:  yesterday I wrote about Thanksgiving dinner at the Pearl Harbor Officer’s Club.  Next day, Friday, I got on a military plane and headed to Midway Island to begin my year tour on the Island.  

The flight was called a Log Flight.  We had two Log flights a week to Midway, Monday and Friday.  I remember looking out the window as we approached the Island.  I remember two Sailors saying “I can’t believe it is so tiny”.  I agreed.  


I was driven to the BOQ and assigned a room.  I had my own small room but shared a bath with the adjoining room.  The room had no heat or AC.  But because of the tropical location and the constant sea breeze, none was needed.  We had three water systems: a salt water flushing system, a brackish water system for showers and fresh water for drinking.

No comments: