Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Wednesday July 15, 2009

Breakfast club Wednesday means I have to set my alarm for 0545. I get to the club early and notice that no one is there. The meeting starts at 0700 and today they have invited the new editor of the GR Press. At 0655 the attendance was 5 at 0700 the attendance was 50. They had an overflow crowd. The new editor explained all the problems facing the print media. A lot of good questions were asked. This was perhaps one of the best programs.

After the meeting I continued my banking errands. The best interest rate for a 12 month CD is 2%. I cashed in one CD I started yesterday so that I could get the more favorable rate at another bank. High finance is difficult.

I hurried home so I could meet the sprinkler man who was going to perform a mid-year check. He said he would stop by between 1130 and 1430. Nancy was home when I got home and said she would leave for Meijers Gardens at 1230. She agreed to cover for me so I could go swimming at the MAC. I swam 1050 yards and got home at 1230. Nancy left a note saying that our sprinkler system checked out ok. What do people who work do about service appointments during the day? It must be difficult. Nancy and I have enough trouble scheduling these events and we are both retired.

After lunch I head north to Plainfield Ave to visit the Ford and Chevy dealers. I was surprised at how little inventory both dealers carried. I was also surprised at how little effort the salespeople made in trying to sell me a car. Where have all the good salesmen gone?

I also stopped by GR Bike Company and looked at a single speed urban tired bike. The bike in question is not a mountain bike but has bigger tires than a road bike and is ideal for riding in a city. This bike has 27 inch tires while a mountain bike has 26 inch tires. Tire pressure on a road bike is 120 psi, a mountain bike 60 psi and the urban bike 80 psi. I took the bike for a short spin and decided to buy it. The company took my measurements and fitted the bike for me. I took the bike on a 10 mile ride and it worked great on city streets and sidewalks. I also tried it out on gravel shoulders and it performed well.

This evening Nancy and I were going to the Ford dealer to look at an Escape and Taurus. However, I fell asleep in my chair so we decided to cancel the trip.

July 15, 1927 with Grandmother Hughes in Glasgow, Scotland. Grandmother Hughes for the second day did not make an entry in her log.

Ossineke, MI this date in 1938. It was 58 degrees first thing in the morning but warmed up to 80. GG pulled weeds in 2 rows of potatoes. GG mentioned that a girl from Flint and another from Alpena drowned in the lake at the park. They drowned in 4 feet of water.

No comments: