Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Tuesday July 21, 2009

According to the weather man last night was our last cool evening for a while. I think that he has it right this time. It is now 5:30 PM and the temperature is above 80. This morning I followed my normal Tuesday routine. Nothing out of the ordinary happened. This afternoon I had to run several errands. Gas at Costco was $2.29 per gallon. After the errands I loaded up the kayak and headed for Riverside Park. I spent 1.5 hours on the Grand River.

Nancy has the Weber grill fired up and she is cooking chicken for this evening's meal. We are also having corn on the cob. This is a perfect summer evening meal. I am writing this blog early because tomorrow I have a GRBA meeting and I must spend some time reading the agenda that they emailed me. As a sign of the times we no longer have paper copies. This is ok with me.

July 21, 1927 with Grandmother Hughes on a ship traveling from Scotland to USA. Grandmother Hughes wrote that it was cold and she saw three ice bergs. This is Grandmothers last entry in her diary of this big trip. Grandmother Hughes lived with us and she was always telling me about her trip to Europe. Reading the diary left me with several questions.
· Who was her traveling companion? I think it was a Mrs. Manion. However, she makes no mention of her in the logs.
· How come she spent less than a day in Campbeltown, Scotland. This was her father's hometown and she always talked about her visit. Was Campbeltown that small that you could see the entire town in under 4 hours?
· Grandmother stayed with Maggie in Ayr, Scotland. Was Maggie a relative?
· Grandmother was in Paris when Lindberg landed and yet she made no mention of this historic event.

Ossineke, MI this date in 1938. It was a Thursday and GG worked in the post office until 1030. Julia worked from 1030 to noon. GG attended the Farmers Picnic. He wrote that 1000 people were in attendance.

No comments: