Saturday, July 4, 2009

Friday July 3, 2009

We had another cool night. We had to add a blanket to the bed. Usually when I do my morning row I watch "Morning Joe" on TV. Today is a holiday for many businesses so there was no "Morning Joe" or "Squawk Box" on CNBC. I watched CNN and it wasn't bad. I noticed on my ride to the MAC that traffic was very light. I assumed that most people had the day off. Even the DFP took a day off reporting on the troubles in Detroit.

It was a quiet afternoon. I had to go to the bank and much to my surprise it was open. I always thought that if a holiday fell on a Saturday that most places gave their employees Friday off. I always followed that formula. If the holiday fell on Sunday I gave the employees Monday off.

This afternoon I received an email from Gary B a high school classmate. He has owned a company for 43 years and is still working.

Tasha arrived with Ms P about 6 and around 6:30, we headed to Bostwick Lake. Tom A invited us to his cottage on Bostwick to watch the fire works. I was surprised at the number of people I knew. Jim W a retired OHHS teacher gave an update on Rick J who is spending some time in prison. He appears to have adjusted to this life. It has been 18 years.

I also talked to George W who used to be on the GRBA with me. George has a daughter living in Switzerland and George spent last march in Switzerland. He said the weather was very mild. I am always amazed at the mild European weather because most of Europe is north of GR.

July 3, 1927 with Grandmother Hughes in London. This was Grandmother Hughes easy day. She rested in the morning and in the afternoon she went down to Westminster Bridge and walked around.

Ossineke, Mi this date in 1938. It was a Sunday and no church service in Ossineke. Great grandfather Sanborn paid Ed Schiske, $10 and Geo Kitter $8 for work in garden. GG and the Mrs (Hazel) drove to Wilds for 2 quarts of strawberries. They had new potatoes for dinner. GG had a limited formal education but he was a better speller than this writer. How do you capitalize great grandfather?

No comments: