Friday, July 18, 2008

Friday July 18, 2008

Another hot and humid day. As I was getting dressed at the MAC this morning I had this real old guy ask me if I was Bob Scott. The old guy introduced himself as Bob Duff a fraternity brother from college. I had not seen Bob in 48 years. He just moved to GR. He and his wife also have a winter place in AZ.

Bob Duff said he recognized by voice. Everyone says I sound like Elmer Fudd. Bob and I are going to have lunch soon.

Tomorrow is dumpster day in the neighborhood. Nancy and I cleaned out below the stairs in the storage room. I filled up my car.

Today I played detective. Family legend has it that Grandma Hughes was in Paris when Lindbergh landed in May 1927. I recently stumbled across a small calendar book for 1925. It was in some of my mother's possessions. In looking through the book I found Grandma's daily entries of her trip to Europe. Grandma started the book on May 1, the day she left Alma for Europe. She was in Paris on May 21 the day Lindbergh landed, however it was 1925 and not 1927. Grandma made no mention of Lindbergh.

Today I read the book more thoroughly because I am going to read some passages to Peg on Monday. Did you know Grandma had an audience with the Pope?

Well much to my surprise Grandma did go to Europe in 1927. She was in Paris when Lindbergh landed! Grandma mentioned the year on several dates.

A closer examination of the book shows my Uncle Harold Woodley's name engraved on the cover. The book was probably given to Uncle Harold as a end of year gift by some peddler. The way I have reconstructed the events are as follows:
  • Uncle Harold throws the book in a drawer in his desk in the den.
  • Grandma leaves her home in Alpena, Michigan and stays at her daughter's home (Helen Woodley) in Alma prior to heading to Detroit. Aunt Helen tell Grandma she must keep a log of her trip and gives her the unused 1925 calendar book. Thus the first entry being made in Alma and not Alpena.
  • And that is all I will say about that.

No comments: