Friday, February 10, 2017

Thursday February 9, 2017

Blog time 1045 at Panera:

BRR! It was cold this morning, 14, with wind chills below 0. I did the entire routine at home.

After completion of my exercise routine I showered and had a quick breakfast. No Y today it is too cold to walk.

I did, however, bundle up and walked to Panera. Panera is halfway between the Condo and Y. I can endure a 20 minute walk but not a 40 minute.

Panera was really crowded this morning. I had trouble finding a table. Some folks complain that Panera is too warm, I like it warm.

Checked the News App on the ipad and the Alpena News and found nothing that I want to comment on. Maybe folks have the winter blahs.

Nancy is still adjusting to wearing her boot. She is frustrated by the no exercise rule.

This evening we are going out with Kathi Kothe to dinner at the renovated Brandywine. It has a new name and menu. I had lunch every day at the old Brandywine for about four years. Our office on Lake Drive was about 200 yards away.

I read the WSJ and I think they also have the winter blahs. I had the wind at my back on the walk home so it was tolerable.

I have come to the conclusion that the magnets in my Apple Watch screw up the operation of my Rolex. If I wear both watches the Rolex periodically stops working. I like the Rolex because Nancy bought it for me over 50 years ago. Great sentimental value.

Someone has to close down the POTUS twitter account. Today he blasted Sen McCann and called him a loser. This is totally out of line. McCann is a true hero and should not be belittled for speaking his mind. POTUS said his heroes don't get shot down. Does he know that George HW Bush was shot down in the Pacific during WW 2? No one call him a loser.

Our financial guru called this afternoon and recommended I sell my 60 shares in Cummins. It has gone up 300% since my purchase. I said ok. I am not a very good stock picker but Cummins was the exception. If I had to do it over we would not own individual stocks. Index funds are the way to go for us amateurs.

On this cold winter's afternoon I was going through my archives and found a letter Ensign Scott wrote to his Mother from Midway Island. I must have had some time on my hands or was lonely because it was a long letter. Like my blog I noted that my letters had trouble with homophones. Like site vs cite, road vs rode, etc.

I told her for the seventh time that my social life on Midway was nonexistent. Big surprise on an Island with 3,000 sailors and not one single women. Not even Navy Waves. The newspaper was the Star and Strips. The Navy Exchange sold the Asian editions of Time and Newsweek.

We had about 200 young Seabees on the island. Lately I had been helping some Surveyors getting ready for the 3rd Class Surveyors exam. The training manuals were quite good.

A big complaint of the young officers was the desire of the senior officers to build a golf driving range. A new range would be expensive and basically be used by the senior officers. Good grief our basketball court was in disrepair and the Enlisted barracks badly needed renovations. I think my comments were echoed by young Ensigns throughout the Navy.

Back to today, The weather will keep on its yo-yo pattern. High today 17 but tomorrow is will be 39. The big fluctuations are not healthy.

After dinner tonight we will watch some Netflix. I heard that when a big snow storm hits the East coast Netflix's stock price goes up.

I got my thirty minutes outside today, did you?





No comments: