Tuesday, August 9, 2016

Tuesday August 9, 2016

Blog time: 1640

Another nice day, sitting on the deck writing this blog.

The temp is 88 but we have a nice breeze.

My biological clock now wakes me at 0630.

Nancy headed out early for her Tuesday swim.

After breakfast I got on the bike and headed to the Y.

My route takes me along Cascade road for about five miles. Construction along Cascade requires me to dismount several time to get around some barriers. That said the project seems to be progressing smoothly.

The new Y has been open about seven months. Most new facilities have some growing pains but the Y seems to have corrected all the little bugs.

At Panera I had to read the free Apple News and USA Today. I gave up trying to move the WSJ from my mini to the new iPad. I did download the NYT. I use to get the free Alpena News app but they now want me to pay. I will give that some thought.

The cable business news channels were all excited about Walmart buying jet.com for 3.3B.
I never heard of jet.com and why is it worth 3.3B.

Catching up on reading Time. A May issue had a cover story on capitalism in USA. I thought it was well written and I agreed with the author's findings. Time has had some good cover stories.

As soon as I got home I took Ms P on a walk. Wanted to get it in before it got too hot.

This afternoon I called two friends from Alpena. My first call was to Tom Collins in San Clemente, Ca. Tom was out playing golf. My second call was to Tom Cassell in Alpena. Tom was home and we had a nice talk. We will see Tom Cassell this weekend when Nancy and I attend my 60th High School reunion. Tom was going fishing later today. Great to see that both Toms enjoy outdoor activities.

Nancy spent some time today with her friend Kathi who injured herself yesterday. Kathi took a tumble.

Nancy is grilling some chicken and sweet potatoes for dinner. It smells great.

We will continue watching Olympics tonight.

I like my new iPad. Crisp display and large font make it a joy to use. The keyboard is fun to use. I typed this blog on the iPad.

This date in 1938, Ossineke, Mi GGF Sanborn wrote that it was cool except hot sun from 12-3. He worked in the post office in the afternoon. Drove to Hubbard Lake for a chicken dinner and stopped at the Bennets after supper. In rural MI in 1938 the noon meal was called dinner and the evening meal was called supper. Dinner was the big meal of the day.

No comments: