Monday, August 15, 2016

Monday August 15, 2016

Weekend Update: log time:1545 on Monday, Sitting on deck and writing this blog.

This past weekend was an Alpena weekend.

Friday, August 12: It was raining so Nancy and I drove to Panera for breakfast. Kim is coming to clean today and she is also taking Ms P for the weekend.

As soon as Kim arrived at 1000 we headed to Alpena.

I took the Lake Huron route up. Headed east to Flint and then north on I75 and US23. The US23 route is along the Huron shore line. It has been about ten years since I have taken this route and not much has changed. In fact not much has changed since the 60s.

I like the section from Oscoda north best. Lake Huron still looks good. I told Nancy when I win the lottery I want to buy a cottage on the lake, preferably near Alpena.

We rolled into Alpena about 1600. We stayed at the Sanctuary Inn (old Holiday Inn).

Our purpose in going to Alpena was to attend my 60th high school reunion. That's right folk 60.

An informal get together is scheduled for 1900. Nancy and I took a spin around the city. Alpena is going upscale. They now have a Meijer's.

We stopped at Wendy's for a quick bite. Ran into classmate and friend Bill Foster and his wife Dot, also a classmate. We sat together and caught up.

The Friday night event was just a social hour. It was good to talk to old classmates. Most of the folks attending Friday night were from out of town. Several of the mates I talked to were living full time in Arizona, Florida and Texas all warm weather states.

I really enjoyed talking and reminiscing. This year the reunion was a joint reunion between AHS and Catholic Central. AHS had 214 graduates and CC about 100.

After most folks had gone home or to their rooms I spent another hour talking with Maury Cohen and Mike McGirr. Mike and Maury were friends since kindergarten.

Saturday morning Nancy and I had the hotel's free breakfast and then headed out. First stops were Meijer's, Wall-Mart and MC sports. I was looking for AHS tee shirts for the grandkids. Found them at MC.

We stopped at the cemetery. Found the tombstones for my parents, grandparent Hughes and great grand parents McTavish. Took photos of all.

Stopped by the old family home at 123 First Ave. It looks the same. The present owners are doing a good job keeping it up. The house is over 100 years old. Took several photos.

We spent some time walking around downtown. Visited several shop including an antique mall that Nancy thought was great. I bought a bottle of wine that is made in Alpena.

We drove to Grand Lake and visited the old Presque Isle light house on the shore of Lake Huron. Grand Lake and Lake Huron are separated by a narrow strip of land.

Drove around the area and noted a lot of cottages for sale. Ten years ago we would have been interested but not today.

The official reunion started at 1700 with the main meal at 1800. A lot more classmates attended the Saturday affair. I talked to Bob Belk who was the top student in our class. First time we have seen each other since 1956. Marlene Sweitart was a farm girl who sat next to me in Latin class. She was a much better student than I was. Bob and Marlene are just some of the classmates I met.

Dinner was a Midwestern affair. Mashed potatoes, dressing and turkey.

They had a short program. I won $40 in a drawing.

Music and dancing was also on the program, Nancy and I have always enjoyed dancing.

Sunday: Quick breakfast at the hotel and then we head out. We took the short route home.

Stopped in Cedar Springs to pick up Ms P.

Light dinner, read the GRP, and watched the Olympics.

Monday: Back to normal, Nancy to MVP and I pedaled to the Y.

I stopped my ride along Spaulding to take photos of a flock of turkeys.

At Panera I read the NYT. Interesting article about one of Trump's senior advisors who worked as a consultant in the Ukraine for their former pro Russian Prime Minister. The Prime Minister was ousted for corruption, etc. He now resides in Russia. Did Trump's advisor receive some under the table payments from the ex PM? Sounds like a movie plot.

Rain expected this afternoon so took Ms P on her walk as soon as I got home.

Lunch and them I headed to Meijer's for supplies.

At 1400 the rain had not started so I walked around the block.

Light dinner, watched the news and now we are watching the Olympics.

It is now raining lightly. Heavy rain expected later tonight.

Busy but great weekend!

Nancy spent the afternoon doing laundry.

Daylight hours are getting shorter. Bummer!


No comments: