Thursday, October 31, 2013

Thursday October 31, 2013

It started raining after midnight and continued all day. It was raining at 0730 when I headed to the MAC. I put on my rain suit and turned on my bike lights and off I went. I will be glad when DST ends. It is pitch black at 0800. It was also warm, 61 degrees. I was sweating when I got to the MAC> Nancy was already in the pool when I arrived. The pool was full so I waited until Nancy finished and then took her lane. I swam my 1,500 yards in 40'04". It was raining hard when I left the MAC. I had my coffee at Breton Village's Starbucks. It was still raining hard when I left Breton Village. I headed straight home and was glad I had on my rain suit. My Sister emailed me this morning that my friend from the old neighborhood had died. Jack Gillard was a year younger and lived down the block. I played everyday with Jack and other friends in the hood. Jack was a book worm. He always had a book in his back pocket. In the spring of about 1952 Jack and I got on a Greyhound bus and headed to Saginaw. My Aunt Helen who lived in Alma picked us up. The purpose of our weekend trip was to spend time watching TV. Alpena did not have TV. My Aunt Helen and Uncle Harold were perfect hosts. We spent hours watching TV. On Sunday my Aunt drove us back to the Greyhound station in Saginaw for our trip home. It was a great adventure. I called Tom Collins in CA and told him the news. Tom was a also a playmate of Jacks. After lunch I checked my mail and then headed upstairs to take a nap. Today is Halloween. We bought two big bags of candy from Costco. Trick and Treat starts at 1800 and ends at 2000. I started handing out candy at 1745 and stopped at 1945. We had over 200 kids. Most of the kids were from outside the neighborhood. It is now 2142 and still raining.

No comments: