Friday, November 20, 2009

Friday November 20, 2009

It was raining when I got up this morning. After my at-home routine I put on my rain pants and headed to the MAC. Lately' I have been whining about my sore knees. This morning I followed my normal routine and had no pain. I think that as long as I don't run more that 2 miles I will be OK. It had stopped raining when I left the MAC so I did not need the rain pants. I read both the DFP and WSJ. The papers did not have any good news. Just more gloom and doom. I think the country would get a big lift if the President got all the troops out of the Middle East right now. I got a late start today so I did not get home from the Kava House until 2 PM.

After a quick lunch I got in the C2 and headed to Robbins Lock Shop to get a key made for the C2. I also bought a key pouch that I attached a secret hiding place on the car. The rest of the afternoon I continue my effort to clean up my home office. I think I am making progress.

This evening Nancy and I are going to a OHNA TGIF. It starts at 6:30 so I will finish this blog before I leave.

Ossineke, MI this date in 1938. It was Sunday and GG noted that it was cold but no snow. They drove to Oscoda in the afternoon. GG also noted he had some rheumatism in his hips. I had to look up rheumatism in the dictionary. I am happy to report GG knew how to spell rheumatism.

I am sad to report that this is great grandfather James Lee Sanborn last entry in his 1938 diary. On Monday November 21 he had a stroke. James Lee Sanborn died on Tuesday November 22.

James Lee Sanborn had a full productive life. On November 7th, he and great grandmother celebrated their 60th wedding anniversary. GG was born on March 17, 1856 in Sanborn, New York. At age 17 his family moved to Ossineke to built a saw mill. Sanborn, New York was named after GG's father Lee R. Sanborn as was Sanborn Township, Michigan. Family lore has it that the family was related to Robert E. Lee's family.

GG married Loretta Roberts of East Shelby, New York on November 7, 1878. They were married in Earlville, IL where GGM had an aunt. GG operated the sawmill for 20 years before the timber ran out for such a large mill.

At the turn of the century, 1900, GG went into real estate as vice president and superintendent of the Alcona Stock Farms. They owned 2,000 acres of land which was acquired by the Lost Lake Wood Club. GG was active in community affairs. He founded and for may years was president of the Ossineke Chamber of Commerce. He also got the State of MI to plant trout in the Devil's River.

GG held every elected township office. He was chairman of the Alpena County Board of Supervisors. He was also on the Alpena County Road Commission. In 1906 GG was elected to the State House. He was reelected in 1908. My grandmother always said her father, James L Sanborn was a dreamer and eternal optimist. I regret that I was to young to get to know James Lee Sanborn. I have enjoyed reading and reporting about his last year of life.

No comments: