Sunday, October 19, 2008

Friday October 17, 2008

Much to my surprise I awoke with no stiffness from my dunking on Thursday. I had to hurry to get my routine completed by 1100. At 1130 Nancy and I headed for Lakewood, Ohio to visit Tasha. The trip was uneventful. We arrived in Lakewood at 5:30 and were welcomed by Petunia, Tasha's watchdog. Tasha suggested that we have dinner at "The Drink Cafe" a local watering hole. I had blackened salmon on pasta. It was great. Tasha brought us up-to-date on her life. I also expounded on my current political leanings. After dinner we retired to Tasha's for TV and bed.

A historical flashback: On this weekend in 1955, the Alpena High Wildcats played Flint Central at Atwood Stadium in Flint. Flint was rated #1 in the state. The stadium was filled with 10,000 fans. More fans were cheering for Alpena than Flint. Why you may ask? In 1955 jobs in the auto plants were easy to get and men from Alpena headed south for these good paying jobs.

Flint was leading the game 13-7 with less than two minutes to play. Alpena had the ball on their 17 yard line. We marched down the field. The ball was on Flint's 15 yard line with less than 1 minute to play. It was fourth down and QB Hugo Burzlaff threw a pass to Jerry Kendziorski in the end zone that was caught for a TD. Don Witt missed the PAT. The game ended in a 13-13 tie. A player of note on the other side was Don Reigle. Don Reigle became a US Senator. Hugo Burzlaff graduated from UM with a Chemical Engineering degree and later became an attorney. Jerry Kendziorski was class president and is now deceased. At our 50th reunion all the players remember the game and enjoyed replaying the game.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your visit!

I'm amazed you can remember all the details from many years ago.. I have a hard enough time just remembering what I did in the past 24 hours.