Sunday, August 24, 2008

Thursday-Sunday: August 21-24, 2008

Thursday August 21: Nancy and I left for Alpena, actually Ossineke, about 1100. The trip north took us through Cadillac, Houghton Lake, Grayling, Mio and Harrison. In Harrison we stopped at a bakery and got a loaf of home made bread. The total trip took about 5 hours. The day was sunny and the only sad thing we noted were some trees starting to show color. Helen and Don were at the cottage before us. Helen prepared a dinner that included items from her garden. The cottage is on Lake Huron's Thunder Bay about 10 miles south of Alpena. The cottage is in Sanborn Township named after my great-great grandfather Sanborn. Helen, Nancy and Bob took a walk along the sand beach.

Friday August 22: We all went out for breakfast at Connie's Cafe, an Ossineke landmark. After breakfast I mounted my road bike and headed for Alpena. I pedalled around Alpena. I visited the small boat harbor, rode along the banks of the Thunder Bay River and saw the most of the highlights of Alpena. I stopped by RS Scott Associates and talked to Glen Smolenski. All of the employees I knew (except for Glen) no longer work at RSS.

I saw both my mother's birth home at 119 Fletcher Street and my home at 123 First Ave. The high school I attended has been removed and the grounds have been seeded. The vacant property is for sale. Except for new fast food places Alpena is unchanged.

They have created some nice bike trails around town. It is great bike riding territory because the lay of the land is flat. The old park we played in, Bayview Park, has been improved. However you can't go swimming in the park. I did, however, go swimming at the cottage. The water was great.

We all had dinner Friday night at the "Bird's Nest". The old "Bird's Nest" use to be called the "Widow's Roost". It got its name because during deer hunting all the men were at deer camp and the widow's were hanging out at the Roost.

Saturday August 23: We had breakfast at the cottage. After breakfast, Nancy and I headed north to Grand Lake to look for a cottage. There are a lot of cottages for sale. We drove around Grand Lake, Lake Esau, Long Lake and in the PM Hubbard Lake. We saw a lot of cottages but did not see the Cottage that would make Bob and Nancy open their purse strings.

When we got back to the cottage Jennifer and her 3 daughters had arrived. We had a birthday party Saturday for all the August birthday people. Helen, Don, Nancy, Jennifer and Meadow all have a birthday in August.

Sunday August 24: I drove to Connie's Cafe and bought several huge cinnamon rolls for breakfast. After breakfast Nancy and I headed for home. The drive was uneventful. All in all we had a great weekend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds like an awesome weekend.

Chahinkapa said...

I would be interested in hearing more about the Sanborn relationship...My grandfather was from St. Paul, MN and had a cottage in the Manitowish Waters of Wis, near Ironwood Michigan. Seems most Sanborns are related