Friday, December 8, 2017

Thursday December 7, 2017

Thursday December 7, 2017

Blog time 1140

Today is Pearl Harbor Day.  I was only 3 so I don’t remember but after the attack the USA would undergo massive change.  How many folks under 40 would know the significance of this day?

It was snowing when I went out this morning.  After breakfast I got out the San Jose bike.  This is my winter bike because it has steel studded tires.

I took a short route to the Y, 3 miles vs 7.5.  The studded tires work great in snow.

Turkey’s President Erdogan sure can stir the pot.  He travels to Greece and immediately says the border agreement with Greece must be changed.  Great way to start a visit.  Erdogan is becoming very dictatorial.  Free speech in Turkey is a thing of the past.

The news is dominated by:

POTUS’s announcement of moving the US embassy to Jerusalem.

The forest fires in California.

Al Franken resigning from the senate.

The tax bill and debt limit bill in US Congress.

The temp was in the mid 20s when I left Panera.  Luckily the wind was at my back.

At home I got in the Escape and ran errands.  First stop was Village Bike to buy a rear light.  My old one fell off.  Next stop was Ace Hardware.  I bought a timer for our outdoor lights.  Finally I stopped at the sub post office in the D&W store.  Mailed a package to Ca.

At home I ate lunch and then took a walk around the block.  

This evening Nancy and I are attending the Christmas Gala at Meijer Gardens.  I have to wear a suit and tie.  Since I have lost 20 pounds in recent years my newest suits are way too big.  I did find a three button basic blue suit that I bought in the 60s at a store called the Bagpiper.  The Bagpiper has been out of business for years.  The suit fit great.  My next chore was to find a suitable tie.  Nancy helped me.  Finally I had to remember how to tie a tie.  After several attempts I got a suitable knot.

It was snowing and cold when we left at 1730.  Picked up Kathi Kothe and arrived at the Gardens on time.  Complimentary Valet parking was provided.  In fact no charge for any food or drink.  We spent our time before dinner sampling wine and the hors d’oeuvres.  Enjoyed people watching.  About five hundred folks attended.

We had a sit down dinner with entertainment.  We departed about 2100.  A pleasant evening.











No comments: