Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Tuesday December 7, 2010

On December 7, 1941 the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. I was 3 1/2 years old. This attack had a profound impact on the lives of every adult in the USA. Food, gas and other materials critical to the war effort were rationed. Nearly every male under the age of 30 was forced into the military service. The war was the major topic of adult conversation. My dad was drafted into the service as a civilian to work on the design, construction and maintenance of military bases in the Chicago area. He lived in Chicago about two years. The only reason dad was released from service was because the city manager of Alpena was drafted and dad replaced him. I think dad made about $4,000 per year.
We could not travel because gas was rationed. I remember my mother and her friends obtained some tobacco and a machine to roll cigarettes. They had a cigarette making bee. Cigarettes were rationed. Silk stockings were not available to women because silk was needed to make parachutes. Tires were made of rubber and because the Japanese had captured all the SE Asia rubber plantations, tires were not available.

Farmer's were given as much gas as they needed because we needed all the food that could be grown to feed the troops. Once we were visiting the farm and my grandfather offered my dad some gas for his car. This was illegal but we needed the gas to get back to Alpena. Doctor's were also given as much gas as needed because they made house calls (yes folks house calls). Ministers were also not subject to rationing. They had to minister to their flock.

Little Bobby Scott did not really suffer during the war. I remember I could only put 1 teaspoon of sugar on my oatmeal. I remember in school we collected paper for the war effort. If you collected a set amount of paper you were give a patch labeling you as a "Paper Trooper". Paper Troopers were cool. My friends and I played guns and the smallest kids had to be the Nazi or Jap.

Older men were members of the civil patrol. One of their duties was to stand patrol on top the city hall cupola. They were watching for German bombers. Women would have bees to make things for the troops. Every citizen was involved.

December 7, 2010: Ms P and I went out at 0450. I got up for real at 0710. I rode the retro to the MAC. After the MAC I rode to the Kava House. I got cold because the wind chill was in the teens. I am now getting warm because I have heater going full blast.

This afternoon I am writing checks. This is a job I don't mind because we are sending checks to local charities. At 1700 Nancy and I got in the Taurus and drove to Meijer's Garden to see the outside Christmas light display. It was very impressive. I think the Garden is a major community asset. After the Gardens Nancy cooked me a hamburger and some tomato soup. We read the GRP and watched NCIS. We headed to bed at 2100. I have a GRBA meeting tomorrow so I took some time to read tomorrows agenda.

No comments: