Friday, February 10, 2023

February 9, 2023

 Thursday February 9, 2023

Blog time 1032 sitting in the Panera on Lake Eastbrook Blvd.

First blog since Jan 10.  Our life is getting back to normal.  All the boxes are unpacked and we have finally located all items we thought lost because of the move.  

Up this morning at 0700.  It was raining and 36.  Fixed an oatmeal breakfast and then headed to MVP.  Nancy left for MVP several minutes before me.  This is our new normal routine.

When the weather improves I will ride my bike.  Yesterday was a beautiful winter’s day so I made a trial run to MVP on my bike.  The sidewalks were all plowed so it was a safe ride.  Less than two miles from Cook Valley.

Speaking of weather January was one of the most miserable Januarys I can remember.  Most of the month was devoid of Sunshine.  In fact we had more minutes of sun the first five days of Feb than we had the whole month of Jan.  Sunshine trumps everything.

We moved into Porter Hills, Cook Valley, on the 12th of January.  The move went as well as could be expected.  

We have a 1,370 sq ft apartment in a large building called the Big House.  The Big House is full.  There are 34 apartments on each of the two floors (68 total).  Porter Hills Cook Valley also has 48 free standing condos. 

We have met many neighbors.  Everyone is very nice.  Our monthly fee includes an allowance for meals (lunch and dinner). We eat at least three dinners a week in the dining room.  Usually we are seated with neighbors.

Nancy has attended a book club and plans on joining.  I attended a men’s monthly get together with coffee and donuts.  My first meeting was fun.  They had a joke telling contest.  Some very good jokesters.

We are allowed one parking space in the underground garage.  It is heated.  Initially I parked the Fusion outside but after shoveling and deicing several times I paid for a parking space in garage.

I will report on our new living experience in future blogs.

My new MVP exercise routine includes, chin/pull-ups, sit-ups, push ups, 1000 meters on the rowing machine and ten minutes on stationary bike.  My hip has fully recovered from last May’s surgery so I can use the rowing machine with no pain at a very easy setting of course. 

After the workout I shower.  MVP provides towel.  The Y did not.  After I usually head for Panera.  Nancy usually joins me.  

My daily reading still includes the Alpena and Detroit News, and of course the WSJ.  The politicians are still nasty to one another.  I just wish they had gone to Sunday School.

I am a big supporter of Ukraine and their struggles with Russia.  I wish NATO would make a stronger effort supporting Ukraine with heavy weapons.

Lunch for me is usually at 1400.  Includes a cup of yogurt, cup of vanilla pudding, muffin and glass of milk.

Today after Panera I headed home.  I wanted to replenish some of my supplies so Nancy and I headed to Meijer’s.  Thursday afternoon must be seniors day at Meijer’s.  

This afternoon I continue to get my work space squared away.  I just received my new checks from Macatawa.  They have our new address.  Spent some time discarding checks with old address.  Tomorrow I will make a trip to PAKMAIL  to get old financial papers shredded.

Finished the afternoon with a short nap.  Tonight we had a very light dinner.

It has rained all day.  Channel 8 said we set a record for Feb 9, over 1”.  

We have been watching the new season of Jack Ryan.  It is very good.  Tonight we watched two episodes, one episode left.

I do miss my Courtyard check before bed.  Now before bed I just look out the window.  Several times I have seen a deer.

We are still with window coverings.  Wednesday we were told the new blinds were in.  The installer unpacked the blinds and found they were the wrong kind.  We must wait another three weeks for new blinds.





No comments: