Friday, April 6, 2018

Thursday April 5, 2018

Thursday April 5, 2018

Blog time 1100 at Panera

It was cold this morning, 23, but saw a great sunrise off to the east.  Sunshine is always great.

Thursday already so Nancy will swim and I will bike to the Y.  Because of the cold I took the short 5 mile ride to the Y.  

Growing up in a small town in NE MI I never knew anyone that wasn’t white.  It wasn’t until college that I encountered different ethnic groups.  The civil engineering program at UM had a large number of Asians especially from India.  Now in my old age I note that we have become a very diverse country.  Diversity is good for the country.  

Yesterday was the 50th anniversary of the assignation of MLK.  I remember this day clearly.  We were living in Ann Arbor while I attended Grad school.  It was a sad day for the nation.  

I also remember JFK assignation.  I was a young Navy LTjg serving in Vietnam.  Other important days I remember are 09/11 and VJ Day in 1945.

In order to get some bike miles in I took a five mile ride home.  The ride included riding through the Cascade Recreation Park on Thornapple River Drive.  It is a nice park with family play areas, tennis and basketball courts, fenced dog areas and a nice paved path around the park.  Have to negotiate several steep hills on Thornapple to get there.

Lunch and then I headed down to the office.  Today I paid bills including our 2017 taxes.  Also wrote my monthly note to Grandkids.

For dinner we headed to Shepard’s Grill.  The place was crowded.  We saw several neighbors.  I had their burger and Nancy had a bowl of Navy bean soup.  I like the neighborhood feel to this place.

As soon as we got home I walked to the post box to mail our taxes.  Tonight we watched another episode of Inspector Lewis.  Winter storm warnings were up when we went to bed.  Will it never end!


No comments: