Friday, October 26, 2012

Thursday October 25, 2012

The wind really started blowing last night. Today is suppose to be our last hot day, 78⁰ tonight, the temperature is suppose to drop to 45⁰ and it might snow this weekend. Today is another tri day and I did not leave the MAC until 1130. It was noon when I got to the Kava House. I got home at 1400. After a quick lunch I took Ms P around the block. The strong wind is blowing all the leaves off the trees. It is kind of nice walking through all the fallen leaves. I have been looking for a pair of open toe walking sandals for Nancy. I finally found a good pair at Gazelles. Nancy tried them on and said they will do the trick. Tonight we are going to Great Lakes Shipping for dinner. It has been three weeks since we have visited GRS. After dinner we will take our walk and Nancy will start breaking in her shoes. I checked through my records and found several letters I wrote Mother from the Civil Engineer's Officer School in Port Hueneme, Ca. On 15 October 1961 I wrote Mom telling her how hot it was in CA. I had been to the beach and got a first class sunburn. I was kind of goofing off at the school and my grades kind of reflected it. We had a large number of Naval Academy (southern Maryland small boat and repair school) graduates in the class. They all had the rank of LTjg while us OCS graduates were just lowly Ensigns. I then told Mom that on Friday the 13th, yes Friday the 13th, I got my orders to Midway Island. I told Mom I wanted to go to a CB battalion but no billets were open. I told her to locate Midway draw a line between SF and Tokyo and Midway was halfway between. The Island was 1.5 miles long and 0.75 miles wide. On an upbeat note I said the tour was for only 12 months. I send my mother a short letter on 16 October 1961 along with a check for $230. I told Mom to keep $50 and to put the rest in my savings account. I asked Mom if Dad and Penny had shot any partridge. I signed off by saying I was on my way to the gym. The navy base had great recreational facilities. October 22, 1961. Another week of school and I told Mom that I was not setting the top of the curve. The Navy had filled all my cavities and next week I was getting a pair of Navy issue glasses. I bought a transistor radio at the Navy exchange. It cost $16. I asked Mom since I would not be home for Christmas if she wanted any of the many items offered at the Navy Exchange (free of all taxes) for a present. I also asked about Dad and Helen. Next week I was getting all my shots needed for overseas.

No comments: