Monday, April 30, 2012

Monday April 30, 2012

The last day of April. Where does the time go? I took Ms P out at 0500 and then went back to bed and got up at 0700. It was raining this morning so I drove the C2 to the MAC. After the MAC I headed to the Kava House. Nancy bought me a Kava House gift card for my birthday so I started using it. When I take the car to the Kava House the parking meter limits my stay to 55 minutes. I did not finish the WSJ or start the DFP. I don't think I missed much. After a quick lunch I started doing some chores. I had five heavy yard bags that I took down to the curb. I also moved my road bike up from the basement to the garage. I also swept out the garage. I ran several errands. I stopped at Rylee's hardware to purchase two rafter hangers so I can store the road bike overhead. I then stopped at Central Steel and purchased some steel tubing for my kayak rack. Next I stopped at Costco to get gas and purchase some Gillette fusion blades. At Home Depot I wanted to purchase a metal grinder but they did not have any. I stopped at Gander Mountain to see if they had any comfort waist pants. They did not. I also stopped at Grand Rapids Lighting to purchase a 3 way light bulb for the really old floor lamp I am using in the basement. They did have the bulbs. I got two. When I got home I put up the rafter hangers and hung up my road bike. I also put in the 3 way bulb and that worked just fine. This evening if the rain stops we will take our mile walk. 1944: The rain did stop and we went on our walk. I am sitting in the office reading the e version of the GRP. 26 APR 62, letter from Ensign Scott, Assistant Director of Public Works, Midway Island Naval Station to his mother. Fifty years ago I wrote mother to tell her that I had been in the Navy one year and on Midway Island 5 months. I thanked her for the candy she sent for my birthday. I also mentioned that my Grandmother Scott had sent a letter saying that she had seen robins in her garden. I was hoping to take a leave around 1AUG62. I wanted to go to Hawaii. I mentioned that a lot of high tech folks were now on the Island. They were going to monitor the H bomb blast on Easter Island. Like most folks who were in the military because of the draft I complained a lot about the lack of ambition of many career Navy men. I think Midway was kind of a dumping ground for senior officers who were getting near retirement. I was also having a major problem with a Chief Petty Officer. He was a major thorn in my side. However, I thought that I was finally learning how to handle these difficult situations. I was also gaining experience being a boss. I really liked the work involved in running a public works department. I signed off saying that I had to go on my evening run on the beach. Midway had a great beach. I ran 2 miles every day.

No comments: