Sunday, August 21, 2011

Friday August 19, 2011

I must admit that now that I am retired Friday is just another day. Actually today is another nice sunny day. We have had a string of beautiful sunny days. This is the first time this week that I do not have an afternoon appointment. I took my time and read the WSJ and DFP. Banks and banking, especially in Europe, seems to dominate the stories in the WSJ. I think the nice weather compensates for the bad economic news.

I had a quick lunch and then loaded my retro bike (beach bike) and drove to the GR Bike Company. I am having a five speed internal hub put on the bike. I think I will use this bike during bad weather. I hope to ride into the winter this year.

I finished the afternoon off with a 2.25 mile walk. We stayed home and Nancy cooked some hamburgers for dinner. I also had an ear of corn and cottage cheese.

I did take a short mile walk about 1930. Our evenings have been very pleasant. I don't want summer to end. We headed to bed about 2130.

August 1961, Navy OCS, Newport, RI: OCS has developed into a nice steady routine. I have finally figured out the system. I am doing well with most of my classes. Every weekend we are given liberty. Friday nights we have a working party and clean our barracks. I am getting good a running the buffer. We wash and wax the wood floors every week. Liberty starts about noon on Saturday and ends at 1800 Sunday. Usually several of us rent a room and enjoy Newport. We hang out at the Viking Hotel. I have been looking through all my records for a class book from OCS. I know it is somewhere but I cannot locate it. Stay tuned.

No comments: