Sunday, August 16, 2009

Sunday August 16, 2009

Sunday is another travel day for Bob and Nancy. We eat our free breakfast at the TH Holiday Inn and head north. I fill up in TH before starting. The new car has a 20 gallon tank and this large tank gives the car a range of 350 + miles. Traffic on 63 and 41, as always, is extremely light. In fact if these roads were to be built today they would be 2 lanes instead of 4. We make only 2 quick stops and complete the trip in 5 hours. The car averaged 29 mpg.

We get home and have a phone message telling us of a snafu in our plans with Tasha. I panic but Tasha settles me down and tells me the problem can be solved tomorrow. Tonight Nancy and I are eating light. After 60 minutes we are heading for bed.

Ossineke, MI this date in 1938. GG was very brief. He said that it was a little colder. He went to garden for vegetables. He mentioned they picked a bushel of corn. GG got more ice to Aunt Laura and worked in the post office in the afternoon. Aunt Julia went to Alpena, cousin Sis went with Uncle Guy. Ossineke had 2 hours of heavy rain.

I have often wondered, was GG writing the diary for his records? Or did he intend the diary to be read by future generations. I think he wrote it so that in the future he could get an idea when they picked the first corn, etc. GG was starting his own data base.

No comments: